View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 07:35 PM
degausser
Master Fan

OOC: This will be my last post until Sunday. Adrienne is now open. Anyone is welcome to tag her otherwise I might do some random tagging when I get back into town. Merry Christmas, everyone.

Sydney
There was a reason Sydney only ever came back to Richmond for a few days at a time. The life of a dancer allowed for little downtime and so her visits were often limited to birthdays and holidays - a convenience she fully took advantage of. This was no true home of hers, no matter how hard Elizabeth might have endeavored to make it so; home would always be the palm tree lined boulevards and coastal sunsets of southern California. Circumstance forced her to adapt all those years ago when she and her two older siblings found themselves fresh from tragedy and she had made considerable strides to fit in but even now there were times she still felt like the awkward outsider she had first been at sixteen. She had never known this kind of outrageous wealth growing up and no rationalization Elizabeth or anyone else could come up with, no matter how cleverly worded, would ever justify the gross frivolity that was a staple of these sorts of events. The glassware alone would have cost the equivalent of a small economy car, she knew. But more than that it was the callous manner in which people sometimes regarded one another that proved most jarring in the end, as was best evidenced by the appalling manner with which Lynette dismissed Rory Gallagher.

In the end, Sydney generally could only take Richmond in small doses, often with the aid of alcohol. The way she held the neck of the bottle of Moscatto, clenching it tightly as if paranoid a dubious raider might come along to pilfer her loot, might have lent some credence to Lynette's earlier quip regarding her burgeoning alcoholism. The sad fact was she did not have nearly enough alcohol in her system to suffer Lynette's pomposity for much longer but that was likely to change with prolonged exposure. Sydney wondered how long it would take her to get drunk if she took a sip of wine every time her cousin uttered some kind of an insult.

I'm sorry, is barging into a conversation not tacky on your planet? Sydney took a drink. No one wants you here Rory, so make like Tom and cruise. Then another. At this rate, it wouldn't be long at all.

When Sydney turned to greet Rory she smiled apologetically, contrite enough for both her and Lynette. "Hello, Rory. Merry Christmas." Though not nearly as well acquainted with Rory as the rest of her extended family, she still regarded him with the same warmth and amiability she would a friend. "You'll have to forgive my cousin. She had the good fortune of being raised in the company of all you see around you but evidentially she still learned her manners in a barn." Sydney found herself glancing off in the direction Julian disappeared in, half expecting him to turn up with the inventory she had sent him off to retrieve in arm. It was more likely her cousin had holed himself up in the cold wine cellar and wouldn't be found until the next morning, cradling several empty bottles under head as a makeshift pillow, burgundy and crimson stains decorating his collar. She somehow already knew she was well and truly abandoned now. Sydney took another drink.

Last edited by degausser; 12-23-2015 at 08:13 PM