View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 04:54 PM
HalcyonDays
Dedicated Fan

About the Betsy Ross fencing scene, when Crane's at the Dentist.

/start ship

I had to review it and analyze it, but there is a total purpose to this scene. It is a means to an end, and Ichabbie shippers will love it. What did BR say? Paraphrased - because I cannot remember the exact sentence - but basically Crane apologized to her for getting feelings for BR, because of the work they were doing. He developed 'feelings' - however deep or superficial - to her. Now, let's go back in time to Season 1 - specifically Necromancer, I believe. Crane and Abbie are in the Archives waiting and have a little conversation. Basically, Crane tells Abbie about how Katrina thought too that by mixing "business with pleasure" (I'm paraphrasing), that she was too "worried how their dalliance would affect their work for the cause (Washington/Rev War.)". Also notice who is the instigator in these cases (the woman).

Hmm...So here we have Crane working with BR, thinks he needs to maintain work/personal separation, gets emotions for her anyway (maybe even a 'dalliance'). He basically tries to maintain business only, but caves. Same applies to Katrina. Work first, wife/lover later, but weak-willed man. Now I am sure people will apply this to Miss Corinth, and I am sure the show will try to point directly to her. But who is the OTHER character who Crane works with so well?? (well, Miss Jenny too, but the character who he REALLY is amazing with??)

Miss Grace Abigail Mills.

Now ask yourself, what was Crane's reaction when he thought Paul Revere had a thing to BR? Now contrast/compare Crane's reaction to these individuals interacting with Abbie: a) Luke in season one, b) Hawley in season 2 and c) Daniel in season three?

Makes you think....

Now add the previously BR comment - that "one day, a woman would make him lose his stiff propriety..." A woman who he works with, in spy-ish adventures, and secret ambushes and basically saving the world. A woman who he can be himself with, goofy as ****, propping his legs up on a couch, being all relaxed, playful and just himself. I believe that woman's name would be Grace Abbie Mills.

(don't mistake the video game playing for laziness (no way) and whatever. He was relaxed there - not focused on propriety, stiff-upper-lipness, and being all appropriate behaved. Dude is relaxed and comfortable with Abbie. Big big thing. The comfort level between these two this season is amazing).

Just saying. Then reading the next Bones/X-Crossover episode...yeah, it's gonna happen. I'm actually truly shocked to be thinking this. This will be the last season for the show and I didn't think they would go there, TBH. But yeah. BR has one purpose - to plant the seeds of Ichabbie into Crane's brain.

/end ship

Okay, overall, have to say that I loved this episode. Really well done. First and foremost - is Shannon Sossaman not killing it - no, destroying it - as Pandora? She really is. Excellent casting. And remember, most of her scenes are her alone, acting against nothing, or just a subtle intro/exit to cause panic. Love it to death. Just her, as nurse, walking confidently down the hallways, you KNOW she's gonna cause problems.

I will say - that Moloch was yes evil, but no where near as calculating, devious and just plain enjoyable as Pandora. Henry isn't even on the list for me, at this point. Well done, SS, and show. She deserves so much kudos. This is yet another example of great casting (IMO) and Shannon is doing a fantastic job. I'm very much looking forward to her interaction with Crane, but dammit, she has Abbie in her sights. She see Abbie in herself, I think, and relates, in a weird twisted way. Her telling Abbie snippets about her previous life/existance was heart-breaking. Is it wrong that I side with her?

Now, Tooth Fairy. Okay, when I first read it as the villian a few weeks ago, I kinda cringed. Really, the Tooth Fairy? But this fairy tale/monster narrative was amazingly done. A monster that adults cannot see, but kids can? So totally explaining kids claiming a monster under the bed/in closet,yet the parents just "tut, tut" them. Perfect and creepy. And okay, that monster was creepy as hell and kinda - I don't know. Proboscis probing and straddling a kid - I don't know man, but that truly creeped me out. Like, this is allowed on TV type of shock, but yeah, well done show, because completely creepy. Just purely messed up. That was something I'd never thought I'd see on such a PG-determined show.

But I love the transition from the way to eliminate the creature (silver coin/silver weapon/silver in general) to the current tradition of giving a kid money for losing a tooth. It is a seemless transition that does the SH twistory well. Loved it.

Now - Jenny and Abbie. Personally, I simply LOVED Jenny admitting to Abbie, "Yeah, I found Dad 5 years ago." Shrug. LOVE THAT. Jenny is practical also, and I totally understand her POV. She didn't know her Dad, she had no relationship - so why the drama? This speaks personally to me, but what a contrast to last season - i.e. Crane doesn't know son, still angst's over him. Seriously, Jenny, you are the best!! It honestly is one of the most refreshing scenes I've seen on TV. To have a character not become a emotional mess or emotionally lost over simple logic. I didn't know him, the guy wasn't there. Simple. THIS is what bothered me about season 2, and the whole Crane, "my son, my son, BS." Jenny spoke what I believe and have always believed. I love you, Jennifer!

And this episode had the much wanted (for me), Jenny/Crane scenes. Love those two together. Please give me some more!

The goofy Crane scenes. I'm a little bit torn. I think Tom Mison is bloody gifted in general. This episode (and previous) he has showed us that he is awesome at comedy like this. I mean, we had the pratfalls, the goofy attempts at him being well, goofy, the drugged-up Crane, and he is bloody brilliant at it. Truly. Think about the contrast. Crusty, stiff-upper-lip, reserved Crane, Crane ranting about something, then you get loving vow-spouting Crane, then you get the goofball to the extreme, all in the same episode. It's (one of the reasons) why I admire Mison (besides his brains and snark). He can change into so many personas that it's ridiculous. Fantastic actor.

But I hope they don't reduce Crane into a joke for this season. He's much more complex than this. A goofball yes in certain times, but he needs that complexity too (and no, season 2 did not provide that complexity).

And I want someone to transcribe EXACTLY what Pandora told Abbie. Abbie in a hospital! My baby! But Pandora visiting her, and basically stating how different she is, from the others, and how her father is messing with her. I need a transcript because there was so much information in there, but the weird/yet effective editing kind of distorted.

This was a good episode. Really good. Truly good. I quite enjoyed it.

Oh, and you writers having Pandora call Abbie a "Sleepyhead...? Yeah, screw off writers!!....But you know what (honestly)...I smiled at that. I really did. Yeah, I loved that to death. Seriously. Thank you. Nice touch, writers.

~ I like my Schadenfreude with a dash of smug and a side of snark ~