View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 07:44 AM
varo_kamry
Extreme Fan

Quote:
=♥ Gale's Fragile Beauty ♥;OMG…I just had a horrible visual! From now on, at any QAF events, both Gale and Randy will show up sporting full beards!
I actually like the beard on Randy. He keeps it well trimmed. But I'm hoping he decides to shave and leave just a thin mustache for the Tennessee Williams role. I know it is a reading and the players will not necessarily have to look like the characters they are playing, but that would be a nice nod to Williams.

Here's another interview from the Minneapolis play:

Splendor in the Glass
Randy Harrison’s Tennessee Waltz
by John Townsend; LAVENDER MAGAZINE

In 1944, master gay playwright Tennessee Williams rocked American theater and society with The Glass Menagerie. Its poetic, yet unsettlingly candid, view of the Wingfields, a family abandoned by their father and husband, now ranks as one of the towering achievements of 20th-Century American drama.

The Glass Menagerie is especially relevant in 2007, given the awareness of the American public about single parents battling rocky economic times. Moreover, in subtle ways, this classic, which was inspired by Williams’s own personal experiences, codifies the playwright’s struggle with his homosexual orientation.

It’s fitting that the current Guthrie Theater revival features Queer as Folk star Randy Harrison as protagonist Tom. Indeed, given the sensitivity he revealed in that landmark television series, Harrison’s casting seems nothing less than ideal. If Williams’s spirit is out there peeking in on us, he must be ecstatic that Harrison essentially is playing him.

I spoke with Harrison recently about Williams, his play, director Joe Dowling, and Queer as Folk.

'Randy Harrison's Tennessee Waltz' (Lavender, January 2007) � Randy Harrison. Interviews.