View Single Post
Old 06-23-2015, 05:09 AM
Stay to the Lights
Fan Forum Star

Book 4: Tangled Threads

Quote:
Gin Blanco, a.k.a the Spider, isn't the only skillful assassin in town. Elek*tra LaFleur has been hired by Mab Monroe to use her lethal electrical elemental magic to kill the Spider. As if her motivation to save her own life wasn't enough to take her out, LaFleur has added Gin's younger sister Bria Coolidge to her hit list. Gin will do whatever it takes to keep her sister alive but what would happen if the good detective learns that her sister she thought dead is still alive and is the very murderer she has been hunting?

LaFleur sales her skills to the highest bidder. After Gin declares war on Mab Monroe in the previous book, Mab hires LaFleur to take out the Spider before Mab herself becomes a victim. LaFleur is powerful, ruthless, determined and holds nothing back. She is Gin's equal when it comes to skills and it will take everything Gin has to stay alive. The action between Gin and LaFleur is intense and there were times I wasn't sure how Gin was going to get out of the bloody situations she kept finding herself in. It was both nerve racking and exciting to read. The elemental aspect of this series has always interested me and I liked that a new elemental magic was introduced into the story as well as exploring what Gin is capable of with her ice magic.

In Gin's personal life, she isn't quite sure of how to handle her relationship with Owen Grayson. Having recently been rejected by Detective Donovan Caine because of his inability to look past her occupation, Gin fears a day will come when she will see nothing but disdain in Owen's eyes. But he surprises her by showing affection and understanding towards Gin and will not let her push him away. There is nothing about Owen I don't love. He isn't afraid to get his hands dirty and he'll do what it takes to show Gin the depth of his feelings for her. Gin is young but she's already had a hard life and I believe Owen and what he has to offer her is nothing less than what she deserves.

Bria isn't aware her sister survived the attack that killed their family 13 years ago. Gin is unsure of what her detective sister will think of her illegal affairs or her personal mission to take down Mab Monroe. The decision to reveal herself to Bria weighs heavily on Gin and the arrival of LaFleur puts events into motion that will not leave Gin with much of a choice. The build up and uncertainty of a relationship between Bria and Gin had me emotionally on edge.

My favorite supporting character, Finn, is back and is as charming as ever. It's not just that wonderful southern allure that draws me to him but also the way he'll do anything for Gin, who is like a sister to him. The constant support he gives her makes him just as attractive has accent I can hear whenever I read a scene with him. Fans of Finn should be happy with the amount of page time he receives..
Quotes:

“That's why you look so tired, isn't it?" I murmured. "You used up all your magic to find me last night."

Owen shrugged as though it was nothing. But it wasn't nothing to me. Besides Finn and the Deveraux sisters, I couldn't even remember the last time someone had cared enough to come looking for me when I was in trouble. I was so used to being on my own for so long, always being the tough, strong, capable one, that I'd forgotten how nice it felt to have someone else look out for me.
To have someone else care about me.
And just like that, the fragile strings of my feelings for Owen joined together, all the tangled threads wrapping around and weaving their way through my heart. Scary and painful in some ways, but necessary in others too.”

“Finn had finished his coffee run and was strolling back down the hallway, a mug of his steaming chicory brew in his left hand. He saw Vinnie heading toward him, sighed, and reached around behind his back with his right hand. Finn came up with a gun, which he leveled at Vinnie’s head.
The Ice elemental froze in the doorway.
“Why don’t you be a good boy, Vinnie, and go sit down,” Finn said in a pleasant voice before taking a sip of his coffee. His eyes never left the other man, and his gun never wavered. Finn could be a bad-ass when he had to, just like me.”

“Quite a crowd tonight, Gin. Usually, it's just you and Finn."
I shrugged. "What can I say? I seem to attract minions wherever I go these days. Kind of like the Pied Piper."
Behind me, Finn huffed out his displeasure. "Minion? I am most certainly not a mere minion. Head minion, perhaps. At the very least.”

“What was wrong with giving Gin a key?" he rumbled. "It's not like I could keep her out of the house, even if I wanted to. I thought a key would make things easier, make her feel like she was really welcome here. This is the first time that I've dated an assassin. I don't want to piss her off”
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote