View Single Post
Old 06-13-2015, 05:32 AM
winterbird
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
They are definitely mixed but I'm not worried about it, almost every review, even the ones that are somewhat negative have nothing but good things to say about the four leads. Plus they've only seen the first three episodes, as someone who loved the first season of True Detective I didn't really get into it until episode 4.
This is very well said! I like the quote from Pizzolato featured in the Vulture/New York Times magazine review: As Pizzolatto told critic Alan Sepinwall after the finale, the recaps retrospectively seemed like “chapters of a book … being reviewed before the whole book has been revealed.” I also think that, maybe people have put the first TD on a pedestal. It created such a hype that maybe, it's impossible to reach that level again, especially with a whole new cast and directors.

Another great mention in the Indiewire review:
Quote:
McAdams, in particular, stands out, and you get the feeling early on the second season as a whole will hinge upon her development. After three episodes, there’s no question she can handle whatever’s thrown her way. The popular rom-com star settles into Ani’s skin with surprising ease, instantly owning the role and overcoming some difficult introductory scenes packed with what’s nearly too much information. Instead of overplaying these difficult moments, McAdams cuts to the core of her character, refusing to play into stereotypes on either side of past ‘lady cop’ examples. Not too hard, not too weak, Ani is the truest detective of the bunch.
Review: 'True Detective' Season 2, McAdams Is the New McC | Indiewire
Their headline is also worth mentioning: "'True Detective' Season 2 Elevates McAdams as the New McConaughey, But Gets Lost in the Darkness"