View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 12:13 PM
JJH85
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS53 (View Post)
Hope you have a great day.

Brought this convo piece from the Josh and Diane thread to continue.

I learned French at school but they mostly concentrate on verbs and correct tenses instead of teaching us how to converse - anyway we only learn in High school whereas to learn anything new it is best to start much younger. My husband's sister moved to Italy when she was about 16 and married an Italian so stayed there. Her sons don't speak English as she never bothered to teach them and her husband refused to learn. We haven't seen her for years as she stopped communicating with us and has not answered any correspondence for years.

My husband's cousin sent his sons to the Caribbean to learn Spanish and they are both fluent, which is just as well as they are both married to Central American girls. Their children are being brought up with both cultures and languages which will be great for them in the future. The girls are both pretty fluent in English now as they have been to lessons especially developed for non English speaking immigrants.
That's nice for your SIL, but not very nice for the family she has cut off, but then if her husband has refused to speak English, maybe he's controlling enough not to allow her speak it either. It's a shame and unfortunate for her kids as well from both a family and learning aspect.

My father was the oldest of 13 and they all were born in the French Province of Quebec; however, were brought up bilingual. My parents tried to get us in French schools when we were young, but there was limited space, so the criteria was that both parents had to be French to get in. C'est la vie.

On another note, you may notice that I am slow at posting, well that is because I'm typing with one hand (my left) and soaking my other in sea water to help try an heal it from a reaction I had from something. Typing with the opposite hand is harder than I thought.

icon credit: crash landing