View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 01:16 PM
PhoenixRising
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan (View Post)
Phoniex Rising ,thank you for the long and interesting read . You made somne valid points about the whole marvel film universe . It is verey clear you are a huge fan of Ant manEdgar Rice first vison of the film
again from 2014 why he was walked away from the movie he had worked for yrs on
I'm sorry, you didn't get the point of my post. I was actually saying that I was against Marvel and Kevin Feige using Edgar Wright's Ant-Man script because it focused on Scott Lang, who is an irrelevant character as far as the Avengers go, and it eliminates two of the founding members of The Avengers, Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne, from the story. I was making the case that Marvel should never have used Edgar Wright's script in the first place and had made an Ant-Man film featuring Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne as Ant-Man/Giant-Man and The Wasp, which would've been more compatible with the Avengers mythology. Hank Pym is the one who created Ultron in the comics, and Janet Van Dyne is the first and longest-running female member of the Avengers, and having Tony Stark create Ultron instead and replacing Hank Pym with Scott Lang, while having Black Widow in place of The Wasp only hurt the MCU and the Avengers overall.

My argument is that all of this was unnecessary and useless since Edgar Wright only ended up quitting the film after Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige finally had to admit that Wright's script "just wasn't working," which is something that should've been apparent from the beginning when Iron Man went into production. And if Wright's script was so incompatible with the MCU, then it shouldn't have been used in the first place, especially when it eliminates two of the main characters from the Avengers storyline.

And I don't buy the argument that "changes happen" if the comic gets transferred to the screen. If those changes do not improve on the material and only hurt the story, then what good is it? Stories work because of certain elements that make them work. If you alter them too much, then the story falls apart into contrived nonsense. I've made the argument that making Tony Stark Ultron's creator instead of Hank Pym doesn't work because the plot is absurd and requires the audience to believe that Stark is an irresponsible moron, and then his entire creation of Ultron is later treated as inconsequential and an afterthought. Hank Pym created Ultron by accident and never intended for Ultron to be a weaponized peacekeeping force, so at least Hank was not responsible for what happened. But Tony does this on purpose and then acts without remorse, while everyone seems to just forgive and forget. And he goes from being convinced that Ultron is necessary to realizing what a stupid mistake it was so fast, it stretches credibility by making Tony a complete idiot in order to fit the plot in, which is bad screenwriting.

And the absence of Janet Van Dyne(The Wasp) from the story takes away one of the strongest female characters from the story. Again, no offense, but Black Widow simply does not belong in The Avengers. She's much better suited as a SHIELD agent than as a superhero, and Joss and Marvel have taken a lot of criticism over her character's diminished role on the team compared to her male counterparts. But again, that's not Joss' fault. He has to work around her limitations and is pretty much forced into the position that he's in. The Wasp is an actual superhero and would give him a lot more to work with as a character. Black Widow being on the Avengers is like having Catwoman as a member of the Justice League, which might explain things a bit more.

And I agree, Captain America: The Winter Soldier is hands-down the best Marvel film, mostly because it deviates the least from the comics and stays true to the character. Iron Man(the first one) comes in as the second best.