View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 02:02 PM
darkxtwisty
Master Fan

Not crucifying Mer. Not hating on Mer. Simply stating how Shonda is trying to portray it, at least from a writer's POV. Obviously we don't know how Meredith will behave towards Amelia, whether her comments are out of concern or out of bitterness are yet to be seen. Meredith HAS taken inspiration from her mother this season -- we saw that in 11x4 when she smiled watching her mother's speech. She was admiring her mother, seeing her mother in a different light. Her focus HAS been on her career this season, not her family. She stopped mentioning the kids, most likely because they remind her of Derek/make her sad. She HAS been very selfish this season. Not showing sympathy to Japril, Herman, etc. Everyone lit a candle for Japril EXCEPT Mer. I know ya'll don't like Japril, but I still found Meredith's behavior very insensitive in that episode. AND I AM NOT HATING ON HER FOR IT. I'm saying there's a REASON she's acting like this. There's a REASON writers do what they do. Meredith is allowed to be flawed.

Meredith has always feared becoming her mother. One tactic writers use is to have a character teased with their greatest fear, and keep teasing them with it. Becoming Ellis was Meredith's biggest fear for so long, so for her to come close to making the same choices as her mother is huge. Ellis became who she was, the self-centered surgeon, because she was left by the man she loves.

And trust me, there are way more people hating on Derek than Meredith. Haven't seen a single person hating on Meredith, but my twitter timeline is full of Derek hate, so much to where I had to unfollow people.

Last edited by darkxtwisty; 03-25-2015 at 02:12 PM