View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 04:43 AM
aggiemom09121416
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleriver (View Post)
Part of the problem is the depth, height, weight of Edith's one act, outweighs by a huge magnitude *anything* Mary ever said or did to her. Up to that point, it was pretty much tit-for-tat. For that one letter to the Turkish Ambassador, Mary would/should be entitled to torture her with hot needles as long as they live. It was also unbelievably stupid: harming one's own family's reputation when you're an unmarried lass is close to suicidal.

But YES, any device used too often gets to be annoying and/or yawn making. More evidence that Fellowes is just marching in place. Alas.
----

My opinion is that Mary and Edith traded equal blows. Sure, Edith ratted out Mary's poor behavior with that damaging letter, but Mary was cruel when telling Strallon 'Edith's avoiding some boob because he's going to ask a question' was blatantly cruel and involved someone ELSE (Strallon).
Edith might have called Mary out on her bad behavior, but Mary involved sweet lil Strallon in her revenge against Edith.
After Strallon left the party, Mary raised her glass to Edith. wow.

And speaking of bringing scandal and ruin upon a family, I am surprised Rose got a free pass with her blatantly showing her relationship with the married man in the night club and being seen publicly with Jack Ross. In that level of society, you would think these relationships would have been widely known--instead, when she meets Mr. Toothy Grin, it's all sunshine and and rainbows. (and I also don't find it plausible that Rose, who was wild as wild can be one season, is in the next ready to settle down in wedded bliss.)