View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 09:19 PM
shance
Part-Time Fan

The reason Eclare is still popular is what I've been saying all along: wish-fulfillment fantasy.

Girls who are likely slightly awkward/geeky (like Clare used to be) all want to be swept off of their feet by a cute misunderstood Edward Cullen-like "bad" boy who they can heal with the power of their love.

I'm seeing people all over Facebook who are cheering for some "shocking" plot twist to come up in which Eli is actually the father, so they can move to NYC and live happily ever after. I'm like... what makes you think someone who still acts like a spoiled 14-year-old is going to make a great father who'll be there for his child? What makes you think a couple as unstable as Eclare has always been will be able to create a healthy home for a child to grow up in? Constant drama, constant tension, constant "I don't want you talking to this guy who's getting in the way of our ~epic romance~". It will continue to be all about him somehow, and people like that should never be parents.

Drew has significantly matured from the "dumb jock" we originally saw him as in season 10. I feel he could, with some effort, grow into a caring father who does what is right for his child. On the other hand, Eli never really grew past the "misunderstood emo" stage. I can't see Clare pushing out his offspring making any long-lasting difference to someone who is as self-centred as he is.

I think Eclare has achieved an undeserved "iconic" status, too... the Eman (Emma/Sean) or Jaitlin (Joey/Caitlin) of this current generation. I never liked Eman much, either.
shance is offline   Reply With Quote