View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Koda
Absolute Fan

From what I have seen on Twitter and in the TV Guide comment section it appears that a certain number of people (deliberately or not) misinterpreted what Lana actually said about the response she's been getting to the Regina and Robin story on her social media accounts. She did say that she sees people expressing the hope that those two end up together and eventually start a family of their own on her Twitter all the time, but she didn't say that this is the only sort of feedback or that all/the majority of her fans are Outlaw Queen shippers. But for some reason or another many of the louder fans that have been complaining about this interview seem to think the latter is the case, which makes this whole thing so annoying because it's basically once again a giant misunderstanding or parts of the fandom twisting her words and blowing things out of proportion.

I do believe that in some cases it may be a honest misunderstanding because I have seen comments from people who are not native speakers, but there's also a lot of the usual over the top drama created by those who get offended the minute Lana dares to say Robin's or Sean's names, who badmouth Sean when tweeting her all time, or send her stuff along the lines of how sorry they are for her that she has to play this terrible OQ story and work with the incredibly untalented Sean Maguire. It's hard to take people serious who get offended by the very existence of Sean/Robin and OQ and freak out over every tiny little thing related to them. Never mind that Lana and Sean are off screen buddies so imagine how fun it must be for her to have a portion of her fanbase insult someone she considers a friend in her feed all the time. It's all very unfortunate because they ruin it for everyone else among their fandom who's sane and reasonable… and frankly not full of bitter hatred directed at the actors and writers of the show.

I'm also not sure what they even want from Lana? I say this as someone who has shipped Swan Queen for a long time, but at the end of the day you have to accept that there is a difference between a fanon ship and a canon one. It sucks for the fanon shippers, but you cannot honestly expect the show, the network, and those affiliated with OUAT to treat a fanon ship the exact same way as a canon ship. You can't honestly believe Lana is ever going to stop promoting or devoting less attention to her current canon story because you ship her with someone else. The argument seems to be that some of those angry SQ shippers consider SQ the "biggest fandom" of the show and that Lana is alienating the majority of her own fans by supporting OQ, which is... well, no, I'm not even gonna comment on that because it's a whole can of worms of its own.

Lana and Jennifer are both trying so hard to be inclusive, respectful and loving to everyone, knowing that their characters have both formed a whole armada of ships, but apparently it's just never good enough. I don't blame them for getting frustrated over this because it's like they just can’t win, no matter what they do, as long as they don't start campaigning for SQ along with the fans.

That said, we do have bad apples among those supporting the other Regina ships too and there's a reason this tweet was directed at both of the two major fan groups. They tend to wind each other up more and more, sadly the same is true for a lot of different OUAT fandoms too. I'm quick to zip myself up in my little bubble of happiness over there lately.
Rina ↳ [Tumblr || Art || Icons]
alycia debnam-carey & eliza taylor |