View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Kelaine
Passionate Fan

Oddball thought, but I bet this started as a story with an armadillo Wesen. Armadillos always have identical quadruplets. For humans, the odds against identical quads (according to a quick internet search) are about 13 million to one. For humans, multiples are also high risk pregnancies. Quads would almost certainly be preemies and require medical care. So, the odds of there being no one who knew there was more than one baby wouldn't be that great.

That quibble goes away if we're talking a Wesen where quad births are common and where they go out of their way to hide the multiple births, even to the extent of raising them as one child as far as the outside world is concerned.

Which makes armadillos a much more sensible place for this story to have started. But, even if you make a really scary looking armadillo Wesen, "I was chased by an armadillo" just doesn't have the impact as "I was chased by a wolf." Otherwise, I can't say that the Wesen type played much of a role in the episode.

Although, I'm assuming it's a Luison thing to be able to speak a foriegn language without an accent.

If they ever do bring in an armadillo, besides the quad thing, armadillos are one of the few animals besides humans that get leprosy. I think it's supposed to be a faster moving disease in them and more painful. Seems like there might be a story there.

Moving on from armadillo trivia--

Trouble was right not to take Shaw's head off. Ethics aside, he hadn't done more than talk big and (maybe more importantly in an amoral, Machiavellian way) she told him to spread the word to leave Nick alone. His mouth and neck scar will probably do that better than one more Wesen corpse in Portland.

Interesting that Renard doesn't want Nick telling Wu about Wesen. I'm not sure what alternatives they have. On the other hand, if they don't tell Wu and a secret organization that wants to recruit Teresa doesn't want Wu talking, he could either be in danger or be recruited.

I like that, after initially being uncertain, Juliette is now the one pushing for Nick to do what he needs to in order to get his powers back. Since the storyline they have going for that could be considered demeaning to Juliette, that's important. I think I also liked that they addressed some of the relationship landmines mixed into this rather than just use them to kind of titillate the audience while ignoring the impact on the characters.

Since the promo suggests Nick won't immediately get his powers back, I'm guessing there may be an extra step (something that Adalind did) that gets left out or maybe something from the link between Nick and Adalind. It will probably drag things out a bit only to kick in during a life-or-death fight moment.

On the Wesen burning thing, I knew a guy who was a Mormon missionary serving in some of the more rural parts of the south. He told about being one of the first missionaries back in a town where they'd pulled them out a few years before after the Klan burned a cross on the missionaries doorstep. When they went back in, the Klan made sure they understood certain areas were off limits. He joked about it when I knew him, which I don't know that I could ever do. If it was just Monroe, I could see him joking about it, too ("Oh, not again. Where's the new fire extinguisher?"). But, Rosalee's being threatened, as well. These guys could be in big trouble.

Now that Elizabeth knows about Kelly, I wonder if they're setting up a Mama battle? This could be scary.

Also, Lutesse, no problem with the previous post. Like I said, I didn't have much to add at that point.

Edited to add: I noticed some references to both Alice and Labyrinth. Honestly, I half-expected Adalind to have open a bottle that said, "Drink me," before she could get through the door.

Labyrinth references: In the movie, Sarah has to get through a hallway with talking walls giving false warnings. She also has to get through a castle that has turned into a sort of Escher painting to get back her stolen baby brother. While she doesn't pass herself, the Goblin King seems to be in more places at once than he should be.

Alice: Alice nearly drowns in her own tears. In what's probably a spoof of Victorian sentimentalism, she looks after a baby from a cranky family only to throw it away when it turns into a pig (have I mentioned I don't get the Alice books? I'm not sure if that means anything or if they were just going for the tripped out images).

It does feel like there should be something important in the fact that Adalind offered herself a "cake" of Hoffman's head covered in rats (from the dungeon?). Symbolism, dream imagery, or foreshadowing? Or just surreal shock value?

Last edited by Kelaine; 11-22-2014 at 11:45 AM
Kelaine is offline   Reply With Quote