View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 01:23 AM
CityGal
Fan Forum Hero

Here is a nice review I discovered. The rest of the article is at the link as it may be too spoilerish for those currently reading.
Quote:
Desert Isle Keeper Review

Grade: A
Sensuality: Hot

When The Fiery Cross arrived in the mail, I knew it already had a leg up on the competition. I can't remember another time when I have been so excited just to open a package and hold a book. I had another book to finish the day it came, so I kept giving it fond, longing looks whenever it caught my eye. A week and 979 pages later, I'm still casting fond glances in its direction, although my fingers have not quite recovered from bearing its massive weight.

If you're a longstanding Gabaldon fan, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. All her books are huge tomes, and it takes her years to write them, so in between we must wait. As I read The Fiery Cross, I started to think that might not be such a bad thing. The pleasure of reading a wonderful book is sometimes all the greater when the reader spends so much time anticipating its appearance. I discovered Gabaldon shortly after I got online, when she'd only written the first three books. I had no special interest in either time travel or Scottish romances, but people raved about her in reverent tones, so I figured I'd give Outlander a try. About one hundred pages in, I finally put it down - so I could race to the bookstore and buy the next two books. My husband vividly recalls the following weeks, since I spent them with my nose in the books, annoyed when I had to deal with "real life." With Drums of Autumn and now The Fiery Cross, my attitude was somewhat different, because I knew this fix would have to last me awhile. I enjoyed immersing myself in this book, but I also didn't mind rejoining real life now and then and stretching out my reading time. I waited five years to read this book; I wanted to take my time and enjoy it.
(more...)
More at link: ALL ABOUT ROMANCE (novels) reviews The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon