View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Veiled Vesta
Master Fan

"I kind of hate the meta stories." "Me too." Normally I'd agree but I'll make an exception for this episode. First and foremost, Two hundred episodes! WOW! From the moment it started I knew we were in for something special. I loved "Then" and how they used all their title sequences (including the X-Files one )

I don't know about everyone else but many of the scenes with the All Girl's school play were equal parts funny and embarrassing. In fact, that's how I feel about most of the episode. Perhaps more hardcore fangirls will feel more strongly but just cuz I understood the ribbing they did at the fans, didn't mean I didn't cringe and groan good-naturedly in embarrassment. But even though some parts had me nervously giggling, more scenes had me genuinely snorting. I don't want this to be pages long but I do want to highlight the good and the few less-than-good points.

Dean's reactions to all his slashy ships were spot on, from Sam and Dean standing too close to the whole "Destial" thing (and now I know how it's pronounced but I like Sam's suggestion of "Casdean" and shall henceforth refer to that ship as such. ) But more than Dean's looks, what I really loved was Sam's lackadaisical approach (and I agree with Sam; where's the Sastiel? ) Besides poking fun at shipper fangirls, I appreciated the writers taking jabs at their own storyline post season 5 (so many bad memories of Yoga and veterinarian girlfriends... blech.)

For the finer details I enjoyed: the director being a Sam Girl (ahahaha! This is like an inverse of what seems to be true online!) backstage "Ghostfacers" cheer. And they mentioned the Samulet! By that specific name! (I feel like the more vocal fans at the cons have given them all these specific terms that felt so weird coming from the show. ) Also, Adam mention (even I forgot about that poor kid). And Dean's inspirational speeches based on pop culture. (First Braveheart, then Rent? And Dean calls Sam a theater geek. Hah.)

As for the lesser things, well I appreciate the symbolism of Dean taking the prop amulet but hanging it on the car mirror like a pine tree... I dunno. I guess that's it. No reason to bring the real thing back That's our closure. But what bugged the most is the monster. It wasn't a tulpa or a fugly scarecrow, it's a Greek muse. Look, I love Greek/Roman mythology (hence my name) but I'm tiring of SPN using my beloved gods/deities for their monsters of the week. Most of the Greek/Roman pantheon aren't monsters who can easily be killed with some sacred stake. They're a-holes at the worst. (I won't even mention the specific, peaceful, hearth-tending deity they warped in that virgin episode last season... ) /end rant.

According to the promos, they watched this episode with fans so I'll have to look up those clips. Probably later when I get some SPN withdrawal or something. Maybe the holidays. Anyways, overall, I really enjoyed this episode. Every musical with vaguely homoerotic subtext and fangirly devotion should end with a scarecrow exploding goo at the audience. Also, SURPRISE CARVER EDLUND FINALE! I can't wait to see (and use) gifs from this episode in the near future!

♫ Carry on my wayward son... ♫