View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 12:40 PM
GrhmLz
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonwen (View Post)
he had the reputation because it carried from father to son. Rumple was given that before he ever had a chance to prove himself.

And I agree.

the term cowardly is used too loosely on the show. Some of the acts that were done are not an act of a coward. The only act Rumple ever did that was cowardly was injuring himself to go home so his son wouldn't be fatherless. Bullying is a form of cowardice that's true. Many of the characters have acted as cowards at one time, but Rumple is the only one that has it tagged. Plus he's vile too

anyway lets stick to the topic of the episode. This type of conversations tend to lead unpleasantness.
We can even call that into question because of the intent behind Rumple's actions. Sure, to some, like Milah, his actions may have come across 'cowardly' but that is not a label that is somehow finite and non-disputable just because some characters thought it about him. But from Rumple POV, putting his son first and thinking of his welfare, meant the risk of acquiring the same label as his father, and some might even view this as an act of courage because I am sure he had an idea of the stigma he could have been facing by being selfless on Bae's behalf (making sure he had a father there for him who loved him).

Pre-Dark One Rumple, from s1, struck me as more of a gentle natured soul who carried more of a pacifist nature. It bugs me that this somehow transistions into a misinterpretation of being cowardly. What, because he did not like to fight? So what. I can relate to that because I am by the nature the same way. I hate conflict and prefer peaceful measures.

But connecting this into this episode about whatever Rumple's agenda is, I do think the Dark Curse is a curse that influences him and makes it difficult to completely steer free and clear from the darker impulses and the use of his magic. Like when Zoso tricked him, he said he could spot a desperate soul, and now that soul is tainted and marked by the curse.

At this point, I do think Rumple is searching for a way to keep his power while freeing himself of that curse. I am not sure I buy into some plot for world domination by Rumple outside of Storybrook, LOL, but it could very well be that outside of SB simply means a fresh start. I think it is likely that he believes the dagger is what keeps his soul imprisoned to the Dark One Curse so it is not fundamentally about pursuing evil desires for himself at Rumple's core. But if the Dark One Curse has a stronger hold on him because the Vault once contained him? That could be a central driving force as of right now. But I think at the root of himself he just can not let go of the power because of his vulnerabilities connected to the past and being bullied. This preys on him so maintaining the use of his magic remains very enticing and addictive.

If he overcomes his vulnerabilites, I think there is nothing stopping TL from freeing his soul from the Dark One Curse. The darkness will not have anything to attach to, to prey on.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.

Last edited by GrhmLz; 11-10-2014 at 12:54 PM