View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 11:53 AM
ModernDayJackieO
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG Stargirl (View Post)
This is exactly why i think this season has been so much better than last season. I think the writing hasn't been all about the couples - the Calzona episode this past week being a glaring exception (although there were a couple of scenes I enjoyed in the epi).

I have loved all the flashbacks and the richness of characters' history. I'm aware that not everyone is happy Meredith is getting a lot of focus, but I truly think that has to be a minority because the ratings are definitely stable and certainly the episode "Only Mama Knows" received an incredible amount of critical praise.

In any event, Shonda tweeted she's been doing a lot of re-writing of scripts this season and I can almost specifically pick out which scenes she's had a hand in since she has a unique writing voice. I hope that continues. For me, season 11 has already been far more interesting than season 10.
I don't mind Meredith's screen time or focus. My problem is when you only bother to write good and cohesive storylines for a select few characters and the others get crap. That's not an ensemble and while i love Meredith and Derek they aren't the sole reason i watch. I watch for a good show as a whole not 1 episode out of 24 that are good because shonda deemed them worthy of decent writing.

Also as crappy as last season was i don't think the ratings were terrible. Shonda is luck that Grey's has a VERY loyal fanbase. There are people who will watch this show until it ends. That's not to say that Meredith being the focus isnt' good for ratings. I'm just pointing out that i don't think ONE thing,couple, or character is responsible for ratings.