View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 09:30 AM
northboundtrain
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassothemoon (View Post)
The thing is, those aren't the only character traits Mary is attracted to.
Oh, I've never thought those were the only character traits she finds attractive. But I think it's a large part of what she finds attractive.

Quote:
At this stage, she's more drawn to Gillingham because of his character traits.
I don't know, I think a large part of her attraction to Tony is because she's physically attracted to him and enjoys that such a "glamorous pirate" is attracted to her. She might also like that he has a touch of the "old world" to him, and that he's charming, but mostly I think it's a physical attraction.

Why?

1. In their first scene together, they only talked briefly, but Mary turned to give him another look as they departed. They didn't talk long enough for her to be intensely fascinated by his personality, but all she needed to be attracted to him physically was a look -- which she got. So it does seem to me like it's his face/body that hooked her.

2. Her reaction to what Charles said about sex and love struck me as very telling. I still feel like that's going to come into play later, and if it does I think it'll be bad for Tony.

Quote:
A guy like Matthew isn't the only sort of man she would be happy with--and the long and short of that is what Blake was saying with his whole "that would have worked in the last century".
I think this comes down to how we view Mary. Does she need a total Matthew clone to be happy? No. But I do think she needs to find her husband someone who is interesting to talk to.

Is that man Tony? I personally don't think so.

You think Evelyn could be that kind of man. Maybe, but like I've said, I'd need more evidence of that.

I do think Charles, of the three suitors we've seen, is the one who's "brain she finds most entertaining," as JF said.

Is that the ONLY thing she needs to make her happy? No. I think she needs other things, like loyalty, passion, a sense of humor...

But I do think "he has to be an interesting guy" is somewhere at the top of the list.

Quote:
It's not comparable to the Carlisle situation because he was concerned about her well-being and her happiness--Blake is only concerned with why she didn't choose him
Was Matthew only concerned with her well-being and her happiness? I don't think that was his sole concern. Matthew also wanted Mary for himself, just as Charles does.

Charles is just blunter about certain things than Matthew was.

Quote:
Fellowes isn't gonna make her crawl back to him because he was right about Tony being too dumb for her.
No one said JF was going to make her crawl back to Charles. Nor would I particularly want to see Mary crawling to Charles or anyone.

But that's not the only way this story could play out happily for Mary/Charles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie.suze (View Post)
I'm wondering if the actor playing Thomas (ha, can't think of his name) is getting tired of doing basically the same thing every series, I should think that's why his partner in crime O'Brian walked out, she was getting bored of playing one dimensional.
I actually disagree on this -- while Thomas is a trouble-maker, he has more layers to him than that, as we've seen most notably in his relationship with Jimmy. That gives RJC a lot of subtle things to play, even when he's causing trouble on the surface.