View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 02:56 PM
lassothemoon
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinebright (View Post)
Mary Crawley? Now you're talking my language.

I could write pages about her character but I'll keep it and concise as possible.

On first impression, Mary is cold, distant ,sarcastic and likes to show an unmoved and hardened exterior. She is practical, pragmatic and does what needs to be done regardless of how she feels about it. She is extremely well bred, impeccably poised and carries herself with an elegant and arrogant hauteur typical of 'the perfect aristo lady'. In short, a true 'Lady of the Manor'.
She keeps her feelings private and actual likes few people in her life. However she's very loyal to them and is capable of 'going out of her way' for them. She's a harsh realist but not too stubborn to change her own views if they are wrong. She can show flashes of intelligence only when she wants to but never to make a statement or to 'prove she's smart'. No, she plays demure until the time she needs to show she has claws.
She loves male attention but also likes to be in control of whatever attraction she feels for the said male. Frankly for long time I never saw what Matthew saw in her. They are as opposite as can be. But like he said 'You are horrid but I love you anyway'!

I'm sorry to add the rest of your post didn't make much sense to me.........but ok! No that's not accurate but you don't need to defend why you like or prefer Napier. My stand is too keep focus on the characters who ARE here, not those who aren't.
You're the one who brought him up. I pride myself on my accuracy as a law student so I'm afraid your post didn't make much sense to me. If you don't want to read about Evelyn, why read my posts?

I agree with some of your analysis but certainly not all.

She's a selfish person, I admit that, but she's also one of my favorite characters--because with Mary, nothing is simple. A lot of her caring actions are guided by her own interest but you could say that about anyone--because selflessness in and of itself is rare.

I do think she's being ridiculous about Edith but that doesn't take away from the fact that she has shown compassion and can show compassion. I feel like that's the main argument for this idea that she's a horrible person. It isn't that black and white.

The patriarchal society focus is something Fellowes tried to get us to sympathize with--it may not have worked for all of us as seen here, but that was the intention. In plain terms, Fellowes is Mary's baby and he's going to spoil her.

"And you think I should choose life?"
Evelyn = In Hebrew the meaning of the name Evelyn is: Life.