View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 07:28 AM
HarshBench
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andorra (View Post)
No, he didn't need to, but did it anyway, which IMO shows just what a nice and well mannered person he is. The ex-chauffeur is better mannered than the manor of the house. I think that's interesting!

Well, certainly not in front of other guest at the dinner table. I agree with Robert there. Especially since Tom knows he and Robert don't see eye to eye on the subject and will likely not agree. (As a guest) I find nothing more embarrassing than quarrelling family in front of others.

And because of that, Tom apologized. Not for his views, he is never apologetic about them.

I'm absolutely with Violet here: "Prinicples are like prayers. Noble of course, but awkward at a party."
Violet has been very rude to guests. S1? When they first met Matthew and Isobel she was openly condescending. First when they were introduced, and then at the table when Isobel asked about the hospital (out of friendly curiosity) and then asked who funded it. Violet muttered snidely "Oh, GOOD! Let's talk about money!"

And her implication was clear: she was saying Isobel was gauche for mentioning money at all. Sorry, but IMO it is much worse to be snide and insulting to a guest than to mention money (or principles) at the table. It's not like her kind doesn't care a LOT about it and put their hands in other peoples pockets all the time.

I am not saying Violet was wrong that it was an awkward topic for the dinner table, but she has no leg to stand on when it comes to appropriate behavior at dinner or making guests feel uncomfortable and patronized. She does it all the time, and not for the sake of principles but for the sake of pure snobbery.

I like Tom as much as you do and like that he is the bigger man but I don't think either Robert or Violet is entitled to have him follow their rules of etiquette when they can't even follow them themselves. The same rules should apply to all of them, but they seem to feel entitled to break them because they are "superior."