View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Andorra
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinebright (View Post)
Hello Northbound
I read your posts and often agree. But I have to disagree here about Bunting. You see I don't think she was insulting Robert if you listen to what she said exactly. She was saying that he ,Robert would be a good advocate for the Memorial cause since he agrees with everything it stood for(although apologizing after Carson spoke up would bolster my case a little more). She just came off as more tactless and not knowing how to 'finesse' her views in such a strongly conservative setting - but not maliciously rude.
I thought she was maliciously rude. She saw the weakness and gave Robert a low blow. "What a pity they don't want you on that comitee"

I think that was cruel, to expose to Robert's guests, that he's not wanted from the people of the village.

I also found her comment about the memorial being a "waste of money" incredibly rude and unfeeling.There were people sitting at the table who fought in the war and who saw their camerades die (like Tony or also like Jimmy or Thomas). And she just shruggs it off and says a memorial for those who died is unnecessary?

Then her comment to the ninnyhead that is Rose's friend. Yes, the friend is not very smart and her giggling about her own stupidity is stupid, but does Sarah have to embarrass her deliberately? I thought that was cruel, too.

She is saracstic all the time. When Edith says at the school that they have to leave because of the "gong", she's mocking them for being "ruled by the gong". Yes again. It is a bit silly that they have to change for dinner every evening etc, but why is it her concern? Why does she have to mock people who are nothing but friendly to her?

Even when she goes down to the servants (which IMO was a request solely made to provoke Robert further), the first thing she does when she is downstairs: She mocks the work of Baxter and Anna who are preparing the breakfast trays. Again a sarcastic, needling comment.

No, she is doing it on purpose, not just because she is not used to the company. She knows very well how to be polite, but she doesn't want to.