View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 08:15 AM
carrie.suze
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren60 (View Post)

Speaking of Edith…that girl falls into a deep sleep very quickly doesn’t she? It’s hard to believe she didn’t notice the fire or smell the smoke in time to escape. I guess she fell asleep or was she overcome by the smoke and a bit unconscious? No matter, there had to be a reason for Thomas to rescue her and save his job.

Speaking of Thomas…I’ve always characterized him as just a “bad boy” who stirs up trouble but his behavior towards Baxter in this episode carried over into “sinister” territory.
Yes, Edith falling into a deep sleep was a weak plot device so Thomas could save her, but ever since Downton began I think I've realised it's basically just a costume soap opera, great production, good cast, nice settings, and gorgeous costumes, and even though I like it, the writing does take some swallowing sometimes.

I wonder how many more chances Thomas will get, it's got to the point where they have to come up with more ways for him to blackmail or bully someone, and he's found another victim in Baxter, I just find the whole thing tiresome now, and so one-dimensional, time for him to go.