View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 04:18 PM
EvilRegalRath
Dedicated Fan

I wasn't on Twitter (I had an account but rarely used it) in the early days so I don't know what it was like in the beginning when she had a fanbase she could more easily communicate with - meaning that she could communicate one on one with a greater percentage of her followers. She was over 300,000 before I started following, even though I've loved the show since the beginning. And I knew after the first episode the two characters that would make this show were Regina and Rumple.

I was unfamiliar with the entire concept of "shipping" before this as well. It's quite the crazy experience. I don't dislike any particular part of the fandom - there seem to be crazies in each "branch." But I do raise my eyebrow to the SQ shippers who seem to think the show is "queerbaiting" them and then get angry that they don't get their way because they think the show should end with Regina and Emma in a romantic relationship.

There is nothing to suggest either of these women would entertain that idea, with each other or any other woman. The actresses have amazing chemistry and what made season 1 so great was all the tension and conflict between them. Regina's reaction to Emma was completely warranted, the fear of any adoptive mother. And Emma as the birth mom, who comes to town not wanting to get involved, then thinking something did seem funny so she stuck around, wanting to make sure the kid was really okay. It was natural they were going to clash. The writers, on the other hand, have to take most of the blame for the SQ belief there is more beneath the surface. Whoever wrote "how do I get the savior to taste my forbidden fruit" had to know what they were doing there. I can't believe Lana didn't read that line and giggle the way I did when I heard her say it on the show. But I still believe those things are written because they add bits of humor to the show - not because there is an underlying attraction between the characters.

Sorry, this went way off track.

I've also read that so many people hold Lana to a much higher standard because she has been so accommodating to the fans to this point. They say Jennifer (having been a major TV star with House) was familiar with how it all goes down, and Lana, though experienced work wise, was getting her first dose of real fame. So by the time OUAT started, Jennifer knew to hold the fans at arms length, while Lana seemed to run into it all blindfolded and with open arms, hugging everyone she could. It's just her persona, and she shouldn't be punished for it. Personally, when I discovered how sweet and wonderful she seems in real life, that drew me to her more than her acting. But now there is a portion of her fan base that feels entitled to her time and attention and some of the fans say it's her fault because she was so damn nice to begin with.

She can't win for losing at this point and I feel bad for her. I just hope she doesn't spend much time reading the online stuff because she doesn't need to feel bad when she has gone above and beyond for her fans for so long. She doesn't belong to anyone but herself and her family and anything that she gives to the rest of us we should just be thankful for. I certainly am.