View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 04:26 AM
LadyMaia
Part-Time Fan

I have TMI available on Amazon Prime now. I might get around to watching it soon. Although going against my ideals, I would be watching just for Aidan's performance because as a lover of the books, I really didn't like the rest of the casting for that movie.

So I'm basically wandering around the board just dropping random musings and raising potential discussion points because I'm sat at home, needing to go into town but realizing that I have no money to spend a.k.a - bored.

I know that Kili is marketed as the 'hot dwarf' because of Aidan but in the context of the story, it occurred to me that Kili is probably considered the ugliest among his fellow dwarves. He is the youngest (debatable because of Ori) and he doesn't have much of a beard which I gather is a turn-off in dwarf culture. Even the few dwarf women are proud of their beards so to only have faint stubble must be quite shameful for the poor dwarfling. Taking this from Richard Armitage's backstory of Thorin, Thorin purposely keeps his beard short because he is a king-in-exile and therefore living in disgrace. It is also an homage to his grandfather and father whose beards were singed during the attack of Smaug. When he reclaims Erebor, he will let it grow again so it really goes to show that beards are a huge deal with the dwarves. Also, an added interesting point - the back story for Bombur via Stephen Hunter suggests that because of his vast size and incredible beard, Bombur is the ladies' man among dwarves. Although not canon, the BTS of 'The Hobbit' tells us that Bombur has 14 children.

So going off of all of that, Kili probably gets the least female attention in the dwarf world. He's probably perceived as a little boy and easily dismissed which is quite a spin on things given how the ladies swoon over him in reality. It's no wonder he is enchanted when Tauriel pays so much attention to him.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Athos: I'll punch you so hard, you'll beg me to kick you
LadyMaia is offline   Reply With Quote