View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 02:37 PM
puffball7
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren60 (View Post)
I really appreciate your insights on the English aristocracy. I'm very interested in the choice Mary is facing between Tony and Charles. I take it Tony being a Lord trumps Charles' future baronetcy? If you don't mind, can you please explain what the difference in Mary's title and status would be depending on who she marries? Plus she's the mother of a future earl, does that come into play at all? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
Also if you're interested this is the order of rank of the British aristocracy hierarchy, starting from the lowest.

1, Hereditary Knighthood (Baronet)
Title would be Sir .... and Lady..... Children wouldn't have a title.
These are not actually peers of the realm, for example they can't sit in the House of
Lords.

2, Baron and Baroness
Title would be Right Honourable .... Baron ....
or Lord .... and Lady....
Children would be known as The Honourable Mr or Miss ....

3, Viscount and Viscountess
Title would be Right Honourable ..... Viscount ....
Children would be known as The Honourable.

4, Earl and Countess
Title would be Right Honourable ..... Earl of .....
Eldest son would take his father's lesser title, for example Robert's lesser title is
Viscount Downton, younger sons would be The Honourable. All daughters would be
Lady ....

5, Marquess and Marchioness
Title would be Most Honourable .... Marquess of .....
Eldest son would take father's lesser title, younger sons would be known as Lord .....
in the same way all daughters would be Lady .....

6, Duke and Duchess
Title would be His Grace .... The Duke of ....
Eldest son would take is father's lesser title, younger sons would be Lord .... and all
daughters would be Lady ....

If Mary married Tony she would be of a lower rank than her mother Cora, and she would take Tony's surname of Foyle as this would be her married name. For example When Lady Sybil Crawley married Tom she became Lady Sybil Branson.