View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 07:03 AM
FoxPhile
Fan Forum Hero

I'm about 2/3 through season 4 (the second time around) and one of the great things about going through the seasons a second time ( other than the obvious enjoyment of watching this show ) is that it really helps to meld seasonal themes.

It seems we see so much more of the inner workings of Patrick Jane in this season - a lot of it from things in his past, both immediate and distant, coming back to haunt him in various ways.

Throughout the season, Jane has to deal with the fallout of killing a man - both in terms of his trial for murder as well as his feelings for the act itself and the complexity of secrets and lies surrounding it. Especially, of course, dealing with the discovery that the man he killed, however evil he may have been, was not, in fact, Red John.

Not surprisingly, Lisbon is the first to crack Jane's secret. I don't recall any direct references to the rest of the team figuring this out - but I do wonder if and when they do. Especially Cho. Of course, Cho is dealing with secrets of his own this season so it's not surprising if he's a bit off his game where Jane is concerned. Not that I believe that Cho would be overly concerned or would say anything about it. He's demonstrated his ability to keep his own council and even lie to support his team members. And of all the team with the exception of Lisbon, Cho seems to see Jane as a real colleague and member of the team.

Throughout the season (so far), when Jane is confronted with the fact that Red John is still alive, it's fascinating to watch his face and his reactions (excellent acting on Simon Baker's part). There's tremendous guilt and remorse there - but not for killing the man. Rather, it is for his own failure - yet again - to achieve his goal. It's another demonstration of just how obsessed he is with getting vengeance for his family. In many ways, this is why Fugue in Red (4.10) is one of my favorite episodes. It's fascinating to see a side of Patrick Jane that is freed of the obsession. Patrick Jane - the normal version that we are used to - is able to be happy. But there is always a shadow to his happiness - and again, it's visible in his face and his eyes. His smiles end a little too soon, and there's a sadness that returns to his eyes, even as he keeps smiling or laughing. Again, Simon does an amazing job with this. But in 4.10, the happiness is genuine and unfettered. It's truly sad, albeit necessary, when Lisbon has to destroy that happiness and bring Patrick back to his reality.

There are numerous instances, besides the murder, where Jane and the team deal with the past and with unforeseen consequences of their actions.
  • Jane deals with a former client whose son has been kidnapped. He's confronted in the episode, again, with the dishonesty of his former life and the harm he inflicted. Yet, the experience doesn't really change his philosophical outlook about it. Somewhat later, in Ruddy Cheeks (4.18), he tells Liesl Braddock that Brother Josef gave her father hope - something that Jane used to justify his own past career as a con artist. Later in the season, Jane tackles a case that involves a former fellow stage performer
  • Brett Stiles and Erica Flynn return, and both continue to evade justice.
  • Lisbon deals with her family - and has to realize that she can no longer treat Tommy like the irresponsible little brother he once was - she has to allow him to deal with his own consequences.
  • Van Pelt deals with O'Laughlin's death, as well as her own regrets about Rigsby, especially in light of Rigsby's new and very permanent relationship with Sarah
  • Rigsby is confronted with the consequences of what he thought was a casual relationship and instead turns into a lifelong commitment - one that he never intended sharing with anyone other than Grace
  • Cho deals with consequences of his own. Ironically, in one normally so tightly controlled, Cho's issues stem from an inability to maintain that control - on the one hand with the pain pills and on the other with Summer.

All of this works to build towards the season finale, when Jane contemplates giving up. Perhaps the realization hits him that his pursuit of Red John may cost him - and his friends and teammates - more than he's willing to pay. Whether he's serious about that, or if it is simply all part of a ruse from the start, I'm not sure (I'll be watching intently for clues on that score when I get closer to the end of this season).

Because of this, season 4 seems to be one of the most intense seasons of the entire series (at least so far - I have yet to see 5 or 6).

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote