View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Bunny_Witty
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbeenyou (View Post)
Sooo in the Luka/Abby thread there is a discussion on the build up to their second reconciliation and how L/A always had feelings for each other. I was just wondering if you guys feel a similar way about Carter/Abby? Obviously Luka and Abby ended up together and Carter and Abby didn't but I always thought the writing had supported a reconciliation later down the line and always hinted that things weren't quite as finished as they seemed.

The one thing that irks me about ER is that I never felt Carter ended up with the right person. It's not even about Abby here. I really dislike Kem as a character. I don't understand how the audience is supposed to root for a couple who appear out of nowhere, especially when the last three seasons have had Carter in love with Abby. Kem to me felt more like a plot device than a fleshed out character. For someone who loves Carter, it's really unsatisfying,

Back to my original point, I felt in season 10 that it was Carter and Abby's time away to grow up and get back on track as both characters had ended up a bit lost and it was something they had to do by themselves and for themselves. A few moments where I thought their old connection shone through: Abby telling Carter he was going to be an amazing father, her being there for him in midnight and the episodes after. Him being there when she found out she passed her boards!!!! I can't stress enough how important I think that was. It could have been any character: Susan, Luka, anyone, instead they had Carter. And also him looking back at her after he walked away. It's been a whole since I watched season 11 so I'm a little rustier. I always thought Carter's reaction to Abby and Luka's pregnancy was a parallel to Abby's reaction to Kem's pregnancy; bittersweet. Also the exchange between Sam/Carter in season 15 about Luka/Abby as soon as he gets back. I'm not saying any of this is romantic build up, it isn't. Just that there were still complex feelings on both sides! What do you guys think?
Carter was in love with Abby for the last three seasons? I thought he was married to Kem from Seasons 12 to 15.

I think Abby and Carter will always have a very special bond with each other. For all the reasons you listed already, their chemistry won't disappear as special friends. They're always there for each other and happy when they're happy for the other in their own lives. It's natural for the feeling to be bittersweet about Kem's and Abby's pregnancy because Abby never got to raise a family with Carter and Carter, while married to Kem, didn't get to have a baby with Abby and he was probably thinking he could have as he thought about his own son who died.

But as a romantic couple, it was pretty obvious it wasn't working out and Carter may have explained it all why in his letter to Abby when Luka got back from Africa. It would've been nice if they had mentioned a few things about what the letter said but apparently, whatever it was, it was the reason why Carter broke up with Abby. They just didn't have the same feelings about everything that would keep a relationship together. Abby had a drinking problem and Carter had some problems of his own. At the end of "Foreign Affairs," Carter just pushed her away and then in "A Thousand Cranes," they were sitting in the restaurant talking about change. Carter was hoping for change and Abby didn't think there was anything wrong with keeping the way things were. He was about to propose and had the ring out but after Carter realized that Abby was fine with the way things were, he backed out and put the ring back in his pocket. To me, I think Carter kinda wanted to be Abby's hero or something because he was hoping to change her or "fix" her. He did mention in "Chaos Theory" that he wanted to make things work so that he could be with her, even if that meant "fixing" Abby's alcohol problems. If you really love someone, you'll not only help them but be with them, no matter what. Carter just sounded like he was giving her an ultimatum: quit drinking or I won't be with you. I just think as a romantic couple, they were just unhappy at many times but as special friends, they were much happier and supported each other. They've given us a lot to remember.