View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 07:07 AM
jette_
Master Fan

I would disagree. Of course it depends on the network but many tv shows nowadays have the same cinematographic standards as movies, especially productions like True Detectives and Game of Thrones. So I don't think there is that much of a difference between movie and tv anymore.
Also if the director of a movie doesn't do a good job, the quality of the movie suffers a lot of course and it might not do so well in the box office but if a director of a tv show pilot gets it wrong, the series might never even make it on air.

Quote:
Q: Obviously you have more input on a pilot than you do coming in on an established show.

David Nutter: I look at it as a little movie. I’m there from the very beginning stages of the process, and I’m basically there to create a template and look for the show. I also put the crew together. The writers and I have to have an agreement—we have to be hand-in-hand all the way throughout the process. Since Millennium I’ve been fortunate to get an executive producer credit as well. I’m there from the very early stages and I’m the guy sitting there [at the end] when they do the layback and take the multi-track down to the two-track and turn it in. I’m there every second of the process: for the mix, color-correction, editing, all the postproduction, all the different audience viewings—all of that. For me, it’s my all-consuming life. I don’t like to juggle a lot of different things; I don’t have six things in development. I’m a director, that’s what I do, and it takes all of me to do that.
Taking Off - DGA Interview: David Nutter