View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 12:15 AM
alwaysbeenyou
Total Fan

Sooo in the Luka/Abby thread there is a discussion on the build up to their second reconciliation and how L/A always had feelings for each other. I was just wondering if you guys feel a similar way about Carter/Abby? Obviously Luka and Abby ended up together and Carter and Abby didn't but I always thought the writing had supported a reconciliation later down the line and always hinted that things weren't quite as finished as they seemed.

The one thing that irks me about ER is that I never felt Carter ended up with the right person. It's not even about Abby here. I really dislike Kem as a character. I don't understand how the audience is supposed to root for a couple who appear out of nowhere, especially when the last three seasons have had Carter in love with Abby. Kem to me felt more like a plot device than a fleshed out character. For someone who loves Carter, it's really unsatisfying,

Back to my original point, I felt in season 10 that it was Carter and Abby's time away to grow up and get back on track as both characters had ended up a bit lost and it was something they had to do by themselves and for themselves. A few moments where I thought their old connection shone through: Abby telling Carter he was going to be an amazing father, her being there for him in midnight and the episodes after. Him being there when she found out she passed her boards!!!! I can't stress enough how important I think that was. It could have been any character: Susan, Luka, anyone, instead they had Carter. And also him looking back at her after he walked away. It's been a whole since I watched season 11 so I'm a little rustier. I always thought Carter's reaction to Abby and Luka's pregnancy was a parallel to Abby's reaction to Kem's pregnancy; bittersweet. Also the exchange between Sam/Carter in season 15 about Luka/Abby as soon as he gets back. I'm not saying any of this is romantic build up, it isn't. Just that there were still complex feelings on both sides! What do you guys think?