View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Slayerfan714
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
As far as Bay and Tank are concerned, I feel the writing is well-planned.

Everyone has experienced (or knows someone who has experienced) an unreciprocated crush. In the beginning, that's what Tank had for Bay.

Bay thought she knew how she felt, but then, she injured her hand. Circumstances found Tank with a crush on someone who suddenly doubted her own convictions.

The accident shook Bay. And because Bay was experiencing self-doubt, she saw Tank as her hero. Bay leaned on Tank as a safety net. A more mature man would have realized what was happening, but Tank is new to love and didn't see the signs.

As for Bay, it took learning that Ty had never cheated for her to come to her senses and realize it was a mistake to choose a romantic relationship with someone for no reason other than safety.

She should have ended things with Tank, but she didn't have the foresight. She let things go on too long with Tank, and he got hurt.

I find the storyline to be realistic, though. I believe young people do make the same mistakes Bay and Tank made. So I liked it.

Even if Tank had become a platonic friend, the writers likely do not have room for his story in Season 4. To me, it would have been sad to see Bay develop this great friendship with Tank and then have him disappear.

So I am glad that I don't have to say goodbye to a character and to relationships that I will miss. I already miss Bay's relationship with Toby. When I see Bay interact with other characters, I would prefer it to be her family and the Deaf characters at Carlton. So for me, this storyline worked well.
I agree with this. I think the problem is that to some Bay and Daphne have had a lot of boyfriends. I don't necessarily think this is a huge deal, but it definitely makes it difficult to connect to characters who are there for only a short time and then moved out of the canvas.

Tank and Bay were written more realistically than the girls' other quick flings. For someone who had been hurt in relationships as much as Bay had, it makes sense that after she gets hurt and Tank rescues her, she thinks she could have more-than-friendly feelings for him. It's also about her residual feelings about Emmett and Ty.

Therefore, it also makes sense that after she finds out that Ty never cheated, she begins to realize Tank isn't someone she's attracted to in a romantic sense. But he makes her laugh and they have fun together and I think there's a part of Bay that sees herself in Tank. She doesn't want to hurt him.

In the end, she did because she was hiding with him. But like Amy said, it is something a lot of people do. Not just young people, but younger people may be more prone to it due to lack of knowledge. However, adults do it as well. Sometimes you just cling to someone for the wrong reason and are stuck in a place of 'how do I get out of this without causing a lot of hurt?'