View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 06:57 AM
WeBuiltThePyramids
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, him not being able to throw her off made me respect Beckett a lot, but him trying to do it upset me, because in my experience it shows a lack of respect for women in authoritative positions, and some people do it because they are uncomfortable with powerful women and are trying to reduce them back to sexual creatures because that's what those men are comfortable viewing women as. And since I work (albeit low level) security at my job, and have been told things such as "your place is in the kitchen or on your back," and have had more than a few encounters where I'm alone in a field with men who started making comments along the lines of Castle's "I'd be happy to let you spank me," that scene in the pilot was almost triggery for me. Because in my experience, men who have made those comments have scared me so much I've gone home and cried in relief that I've always been able to get away. I did know Castle wasn't "that" type of person since, well he's a main character and the show is so loved, but that first scene with Beckett gave me the same uneasy feeling in my gut that I've had at work, so it was a matter of me having to then see what a good guy/father he is than just knowing it because it's a show.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote