View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 09:35 AM
scorpio_chick
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
I'm not really sure what you are saying here. The entire show is the personal preference of Eddy, Adam and writing team. So I'm not sure what 'character integrity or story telling you are referencing. Perhaps if you clarified with an example or two.
Well of course the writers have preferences. I'm referring particularly to preferences for certain characters over others and how the writers have allowed that to affect storytelling. For example, the whole Hook/Emma/Neal "triangle" never really took flight but it was clear from the beginning that Neal was the underdog; that he was never going to be given a fair chance to "win" Emma. I say this as someone who liked all 3 characters and had no interest in Emma and Neal as a couple. But when the writing is so obvious, as to foretell who the writers prefer as a couple, I very much see that as bad storytelling and a turnoff for me.

As for "The Jolly Roger," I'm not arguing that it wasn't a character-driven episode. Indeed, the intent was clearly to show how far Hook has come, to paint him in a sympathetic light and to prove that he is worthy of the Savior. But I found it to be a waste of an episode, quite frankly. I learned nothing about Hook's character (personality, temperament, etc.) that I didn't already know and worse, it didn't advance the plot any more than what could have been accomplished in a more balanced episode.

Quote:
Once again, I'm not clear what you are trying to say. "Only scenario in play" seems to suggest that you are disappointed that it isn't a lone story. If this is so, then I disagree.
Ha. No, I'm not disappointed. My saying that it isn't the only scenario in play is merely to point out that Regina being sidelined is not out of the realm of possibility.

Quote:
As I have stated in my previous post, the battle between two witches, one of whom only discovered a sibling, was the marquee and is currently happening on screen, but, of course, it's not the only element, and we discovered additional clues in the premiere and each succeeding episode. There is more to the story - more depth and complexity. Isn't that preferred?
When did I suggest that it wasn't preferred? I've never said there shouldn't be other elements, other characters involved...only that the basis of Evil vs. Wicked should remain in tact.

Quote:
History has not shown evidence of this point. Some shows push the envelope and write a bold interesting tale - only a few will succeed. Others are meek and cautious and find success.
History has shown so for me. To say otherwise to is to suggest that every story the writers have told has been a success and I don't believe that to be true. You reference Hook and yes, as a character, I find him to be interesting and entertaining. The story of "The Jolly Roger?" Absolutely not. It was one of the most underwhelming tales for me and read more like a filler episode, save the confrontation between Hook and Zelena.

As for what I was agreeing with you on, that would be Regina winding up victorious after losing early on. That would make for a more interesting tale but it's not a foregone conclusion, which is my point.

Quote:
As of this point in the story this may be true, but I don't believe this is the entire story. Clearly it has been shown Zelena has a keen interest in the Snowing baby. Therefore, I do not believe this limits the story to Regina and Rumple.
Once again, I never said it was the entire story or that it should be limited to that. Rather, that has been the focus and should remain so, even as the writing explore other elements of said story.

Quote:
Secondly, the story isn't "twisted to make her the hero" Emma is the hero in the story. That is her role. If it wasn't then 3.12 and retrieving her was an entire waste of Eddy, Adam and writing team's time. The retrieval of Emma to Storybrooke signifies she's key to the story regardless of the villain. So nothing was twisted from or to anything or anybody - it is the story.
I'm well aware that Emma is the hero...the writing is not exactly subtle in that regard. And as I've said, her playing a key role in the story is to be expected. My argument all along has been simple: don't build up Evil vs. Wicked and not actually allow Regina to defeat Zelena.

Last edited by scorpio_chick; 04-19-2014 at 09:43 AM