View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 12:24 AM
CityGal
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_chick (View Post)
So you think the writers have been persistent in writing a character-driven show? That they haven't allowed the plot or their own preferences hinder character integrity or the storytelling itself? If so, then we are certainly in disagreement.
I'm not really sure what you are saying here. The entire show is the personal preference of Eddy, Adam and writing team. So I'm not sure what 'character integrity or story telling you are referencing. Perhaps if you clarified with an example or two.

For example, "The Jolly Roger" was exactly as you stated "a character-driven" episode. It was the culmination of 17 episodes of methodical character growth and evolution. This is no overnight transformation and even in this episode highlighted the character's fall into old habits and the remorse and guilt of a fateful decision. Hook's confession of guilt and begging for forgiveness was a huge character development which still held consequences plus enhanced the plot; furthermore, it clearly leads into another future decision (JR still missing in present day SB) we already know occurs, as revealed in the final act of episode 3.11. How and why Hook arrived at Emma's door a year later is finally getting answered. This episode was the start of the answer and used it to explore his character.

Quote:
As for the setup, yes a continuation of Zelena vs. Regina makes the most sense and given the setup, it certainly can happen. But I am not naive enough to think it's the *only* scenario in play. If the writers wanted to end with the Savior vs. Wicked, they certainly could, whether or not it's logical or interesting.
Once again, I'm not clear what you are trying to say. "Only scenario in play" seems to suggest that you are disappointed that it isn't a lone story. If this is so, then I disagree.

As I have stated in my previous post, the battle between two witches, one of whom only discovered a sibling, was the marquee and is currently happening on screen, but, of course, it's not the only element, and we discovered additional clues in the premiere and each succeeding episode. There is more to the story - more depth and complexity. Isn't that preferred?

Quote:
I agree with you here! It does make for a more interesting tale. But history has shown that the writers of this show (and many others) don't always go with the more interesting tale. That's my point.
History has not shown evidence of this point. Some shows push the envelope and write a bold interesting tale - only a few will succeed. Others are meek and cautious and find success.

But I believe that is not what is happening here. My original post, which you admit agreement, is a reflection of what I see happening on screen not my wish. Eddy and Adam are going with a more interesting tale. The Fairytale characters are rooted in the known stories, but rehashed and remade into their own image. There may be homages to the original story in some small way (thus angering some fans when it isn't a closer reflection of the original tale), but it is their original creation.

Bringing it back to this episode, Captain Hook's origins may be in the "Peter Pan" story, but Eddy and Adam transformed the character to make an interesting tale (just as you accused writers of not doing) and created an entirely fictional persona of 'Killian Jones'. There are homages to the original Barrie work - He's English, gentleman with manners, 'good form', and especially in this episode (not in Neverland) a sword fight battle to the many Hook/Pan duels in Disney and cinematic history. Actually, I thought it was a nice touch towards Disney.

Another 'interesting tale' by OUAT writers is Robin Hood. In the original tale Maid Marian is Robin's true love, but in OUAT universe Marin was killed and Robin is now Regina's soul mate. Many, many viewers are extremely upset by this bold interesting twist and how the tale which E&A want to tell has yet to be told. Viewers may not approve the twist and changes selected by Eddy, Adam and writing team, but I would argue they are at least doing so - repeatedly.

So I'm a bit confused to what you we agreed upon. But at least you said we agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_chick (View Post)
It's not logical when Zelena's beef originated with Regina and Rumpel. Doesn't matter to me if Emma is the protagonist. An arc that had little do with her shouldn't be twisted to make her the hero. As I said, her helping to defeat Zelena is inevitable but Regina and Rumpel should very much remain at the center.
As of this point in the story this may be true, but I don't believe this is the entire story. Clearly it has been shown Zelena has a keen interest in the Snowing baby. Therefore, I do not believe this limits the story to Regina and Rumple.

Secondly, the story isn't "twisted to make her the hero" Emma is the hero in the story. That is her role. If it wasn't then 3.12 and retrieving her was an entire waste of Eddy, Adam and writing team's time. The retrieval of Emma to Storybrooke signifies she's key to the story regardless of the villain. So nothing was twisted from or to anything or anybody - it is the story.

Last edited by CityGal; 04-19-2014 at 01:40 AM