View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 07:47 AM
LabuanPearl88
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protean (View Post)
We are all entitled to our own opinions of course, and if you consider Season 5 post Katherine to be better than Season 2 (which I consider to be TVD at its finest), then I'd be very interested to see your reasons for that.
I never said this, maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post, I meant that I don't consider Katherine the reason season2 (or any other) was great and this season (or any other) isn't as compelling as that one

Quote:
As for Katherine not being the 'main' character, the very definition of the main character can be a slippery sort of thing. Do you consider Elena to be an central character right now? Her entire existence seems to revolve around the brothers and acting as the girlfriend character. We've all seen that story before. What happened to the Elena of season 2 who manipulated Elijah with the threat of suicide and thus managed to dagger him? Is the main character simply a title to be handed out by the writers, or is the main character the one that makes things happen? Klaus in Season 3 was the source of all the drama. In many ways, he stole the show and in my eyes, was the main character at the time.
Since I don't reduce Elena to those roles you wrote, yes, I consider her the main character as she always was and I think she did enough in this season too, a part from the episodes where she wasn't actually here at all thanks to Kat Even after the first possession, she tried to escape and knocked down Nadia and the witch, so I don't think Elena is just "someone GF" at all, but I know people like to see her just like this

Klaus and Katherine can be called "the main villains" as far as I'm concerned, she was the one who did this or that for her own reasons against those I consider the main characters and whose consequences had to be faced Obviously other people will think otherwise and consider Kat the main character and someone fundamental for the show; personally I liked her but couldn't see her this way, while I think the show couldn't work without Elena and Damon and Stefan, for example Depends on POV

Quote:
As for Katherine's story ending, I found it extremely unsatisfying. If she had to go, it should have been in a final struggle against Klaus and the kingdom he built for himself. He was the one who made her who she is.
Oh I see I think this could have been a great end too, and as you wrote, a more satisfying one for Katherine I just gave up on it the day they announced the spin-off, I was sure unfortunately we would have never had one like this That's why I would have preferred an epic fight between Klaus and Kat to end with their deaths, or only one of them's death, or whatever, at the end of season3 maybe, or in season4, I think that would have been perfect When I say I liked the end of Kat this way, I mean that seeing how the producers' choices developed (the spin-off, etc...), I kind of gave up on this epic KK battle and took what they gave me Probably the fact that even if I like her, she's not among my priorities and favorites, reduced the disappointmen, while in your case, loving her, it couldn't happen

Quote:
To her, Elena was just another diversion. And the moralizing at the end is hilarious and untrue to TVD's spirit. If they are going to judge Katherine for her amorality, at least they should have shown us that, Damon, Stefan and Elena are as equally damned by human conventions. Vampires should not be constrained by human morality, and that was one of the key ideas that made the show so interesting between Season 1 and 4. The battle between humanity and vampirism was always one of the key draws of the show. (Think serial-killer Damon, Ripper Stefan, Katherine's carefully orchestrated and diabolical plans, Elena's mass murder of Kol's bloodline to protect Jeremy, and Klaus' logical and methodical tyranny).
I more than agree with this If I have one problem with this show is how some characters have double standars to judge others or are considered "better" while they're not, that's why I like when some of them admit they're not and they shouldn't be because they're vampires That's why I love when they act like vampires, not always showing humanity I guess my sympathy for some characters and not for others is because I can relate with some and not with others or I prefer one kinf od complexity more than another

Quote:
In the end, I just find it sad that Nina's talent is wasted on playing a character who fits in nicely within a social norm. Such characters have been done over and over again that they're not really original, but simply copies of each other put into similar circumstances. I miss Katherine, I miss the old Elena, but most of all, I miss TVD in all its former glory. The schemes, twists and absolute amorality it represented in the past was what made it so exciting in my eyes.
I see your point better now I think that I see Elena in a different way and that's why I have less problems with her right now as always But I see why you may feel disappointed in this

Quote:
But of course I may have watched TVD for entirely different reasons. And I'm always open to different viewpoints. I'm curious as to what you find so compelling (pun not intended) about TVD?
Of course, everyone has their own reasons, I'm not denying that I'll send you a PM, or we'll go OT here to show you my ideas about the show and why I still love it, even admitting not everything is good as it used to be
I am the storm"

Anna