View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 11:13 AM
fractured moonlight
Fan Forum Legend

I saw on tumblr someone say this season has been drama on top of drama on top of drama with nothing really being done and I kinda agree. It's like you could tell they were waiting until the last episode before they started to move forward on most things. I'm ok with drama and angst but I don't know. This season felt like too much. The only thing that has really moved forward has been Archie and Rae's friendship. And while I love that it sucks it's kinda the only thing.

But again maybe the next episode will make things much clearer or at least help me understand more what this season was doing. I really hope this last episode is a good one.

Just read this tumblr post and this is pretty much what I meant in an earlier post here but this tumblr post describes it (especially the parts I put in bold) so much better than I did. And having watched the episode they can go further.

Quote:
i think the problem is that it… felt a bit like a retcon to me?

rae as an unreliable narrator is interesting, but i felt like it came out of nowhere. there have been times before where rae’s voiceover has obviously clashed with what we’re seeing on screen, so in that sense i’m used to her being unreliable. but we’ve never had indication before that what we’re seeing as real-time events aern’t really what’s going on, but merely rae’s memory of it. so having this episode basically go “no, all those scenes you’ve watched for the past season and a half are only recollections, and rae’s recollections are inaccurate” changes the score a lot and i’m not sure i like the way it does so.

chloe’s perspective on some scenes is radically different from what we were shown, so it felt like this way of garnering sympathy for chloe was to go “just kidding she didn’t do half the stuff you thought she did”. i know it was meant to be a wake-up call for rae, and rae was meant to realize how self-centered she’s been, but to me as a viewer it also felt like i’d been lied to. okay, so how many other scenes where someone’s been terrible to rae were actually just fabricated? how many other times has a character who brushed off rae actually been superduper supportive and rae just didn’t notice? how many times have i sympathized with rae for something that didn’t happen??

i think the truth of it is meant to be somewhere between the rae version and the chloe version — but it’s hard to navigate that as a viewer, especially when you had no idea you weren’t seeing the real version until now.

like… stuff like chloe’s perspective on finn and how much she loves him is one thing, something we couldn’t have had from just rae’s pov. but the flipping of all the rae/chloe fight scenes — stuff like how visibly upset rae was after being assaulted at the party, vs how not visibly upset she was in chloe’s version, to chloe calling rae “frigid” for being assaulted in rae’s POV to that never happening in chloe’s POV, like, those are big differences, it’s not just giving me chloe’s POV it is telling me a totally different version of events. so as a viewer, what am i supposed to take from that? was chloe really crying and trying to reach out to rae, or was she really blaming rae for almost being raped?

i guess i felt kind of like this episode threw rae under the bus for chloe. “chloe’s always been there for me and I’ve never been there for her” was rae’s realization in this episode but i couldn’t help thinking, like, “was she, though???” i feel like there were ways to make chloe sympathetic and to show what she’s struggling with and insecure about without giving us such an about-face on certain important, pivotal scenes. stuff like chloe worrying that she isn’t funny and wishing she could be funny like rae is one thing, stuff like whether or not chloe just abruptly left rae to go talk to skeevy gym teacher or not is another.

Last edited by fractured moonlight; 03-18-2014 at 11:56 AM