View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 12:04 PM
HarshBench
Extreme Fan

Zalebs Mobi - Girlfriends' Getaway: Winter's Tale

I am posting this because it is a GOOD review and doesn't think it's being clever by trashing something.

Ugh, the UK papers (the two I saw) are being downright nasty about the movie. They don't say anything negative about the acting, just about the plot, dialogue, etc. And one said "JBF must have hoped for a better start to her film career than this." Well, of course she did! But IDK, just based on those couple of reviews it seems like the English papers were enjoying trashing it. A lot of US critics panned it but took the time to give credit where credit was due to the actors.

Sorry I won't post them because they annoy me too much. I am too sensitive about it but they seem particularly mean-spirited about it or something. Maybe that's just the way they always are, but they seem to be pushing it as far as possible.

It's interesting to me that the US reviewers liked/loved Jess for the most part even thought they did NOT like the film. The UK reviewers have one of their own making her Hollywood debut and they won't even acknowledge her performance or potential at all. WTF is that?

But the commenters on the one article (the others didn't have comments) disagreed with the reviewer and said they liked the movie, for the most part. So there's that critic/audience divide again.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...y-9142498.html

At least this one has the decency to say "job well done" on the acting! Sorry, this is a bummer. I am sure she cares what they think, and all the praise from reviewers across The Pond isn't enough to take the sting out it.

This is what an author from Salon Magazine said about the trouble at the heart of the movie:

An overpriced vanity project in which a well-connected Hollywood insider with lots of celebrity friends seeks to soothe his private grief. That’s actually what seems peculiar and individual and redemptive about it.

That's pretty much it. This was a passion project, he was determined to make it. And he said when his wife died while he was writing it became all that mattered. It's interesting that it comes across in the film (which it does). I did enjoy it but I see what the writer is saying.

But the fact is he chose Jessica to play this role, which is obviously a meaningful one to him. Beverly sort of represents love (Peter too, but I'd say Beverly more so) and he thought Jessica was a "phenomenon" who had the "transcendent" quality to pull that off. Which she does. I know casting people won't care about the script and dialogue and concept, etc., of the film. They'll just look at her performance and potential for a role, which is what matters most to her at this stage of her career.

Still, I feel badly for them. She must be grateful to him for giving her the chance and it has to hurt to see people mocking him/it. For Colin too.

Ugh, sorry. Had to vent.

Last edited by HarshBench; 02-21-2014 at 01:10 PM