View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 04:54 PM
sunnykerr
Fan Forum Star

Well, this story does feed into the notion that the homeless are violent and dangerous.

And while I can't say that it's entirely wrong, I would argue that the homeless (of Montreal anyway) are mostly a threat to themselves and, if anything, tend to be the victims of mass and police brutality because people are so afraid that they'll interpret any sign of "aggression" as a physical threat.

So I do think the fact that they're blaming homeless people for these gang-rapes has an element of convenience to it inasofar as it plays into an already well-established perception of a certain segment of society.

Certainly, education could probably go a long way in resolving some of these issues.

But India still has other problems. I'm sure the caste system isn't still in place all over India, but it certainly remains in certain areas, and I have a feeling it contributes to a certain cycle of poverty.

Again, though, that does not make homeless people more likely to rape as far as I'm concerned.