View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 02:47 PM
northboundtrain
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthisbeauty (View Post)
However, I take comfort that his being more angry with Emily meant he felt the betrayal more because he feels more for Emily overall. He always instinctively did, even when he didn't know she is the real Amanda.
Exactly. It's like that old line, it's the ones you love who are capable of hurting you the most.

Quote:
As a fan of the show, I just wish the writing would reflect more of his push and pull.
Oh, I totally agree. Some episodes, I'm like, "Yes! Good writing for Jack." Like, he makes sense to me. But then last night, there just aren't enough pieces to fill in what I think the puzzle is supposed to be.

I wonder if part of this is because they have different writers in charge of different episodes -- maybe some writers just write Jack (and Jack/Emily) better than others?

In fact, I think I'm going to go investigate that right now...

Quote:
Even without a complicated love (Emily) to rebound from, his being a widower wanting to replace his wife so fast would normally spell desperation.
This is such a great point, and one that I hadn't thought of -- that Jack isn't just trying to move on from Emily, but he's trying to make a home for his son (and in Jack's ideal home, that means a mom). As long as Carl was gone, he could focus exclusively on Emily's drama. But now, as you said, he's a widowed single father...and that must factor into every decision he makes from now on.

In fact, your point here actually adds another interesting layer to last week's scenes. The last time Jack saw Emily, they were cuddling with Carl and talking about raising kids. They were connecting not just as friends, but as parent and potential future parent. Some part of Jack must have been affected by that, even if he didn't say anything (he couldn't, of course, because Emily was still committed to leaving with Aiden).

So it must have stung even more when he saw the video clip of the press conference -- in that moment, Emily was effectively continuing to put herself in danger, even after everything that had already happened. And Emily's danger cannot touch Carl, or even Jack anymore since Jack has Carl living with him again.

That makes it even more significant that the next time we see him he's started to think about buying a house with Margaux. He's throwing those walls back up between him and Emily just as fast as he can. And while I don't think he realizes he's using Margaux, in the end I think it's clear that that's what he's doing.