View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 07:41 PM
sunnykerr
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Man apologises on Facebook for mugging 35 years ago

A man who mugged someone in New York in the 1970s has apologised to his victim after finding him on Facebook.

Michael Goodman said he stole Claude Soffel's bus pass from him outside the Museum of Natural History.

After reading a post about a bagel shop closing down Mr Goodman recognised the name of his victim and sent him a message to apologise.

Mr Soffel responded to the message and said he accepted the apology.

Writing on Facebook Mr Goodman said: "You may not remember this (about 1976 or '77) but a long long time ago... trying to look like a tough guy... I walked up to you and mugged you for your bus pass.

"I have never forgotten the incident or your name. Finally I can say I'm very sorry. So once again I'm truly sorry for taking your bus pass back then."

Arrested immediately

Some time later the victim, Mr Soffel, replied.

"Clearly you're a bigger man today. I recognise your name now as well. So, apology accepted. So let us now, jointly put this in its proper place, behind us," he wrote.

Mr Goodman went on to explain that on the day of the mugging there had been undercover police nearby and he was arrested immediately.

"My father had to leave work and come and get me (I was a minor at the time) and [he] was not too happy with me to say the least," he wrote.

He expressed his surprise that the story of the apology had spread so quickly and hoped the reason for the original contact with Mr Soffel did not get lost in all the coverage.
That's kinda... sweet, isn't it?

Out of the norm, for sure, but kinda sweet.