View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 PM
hopeless romantic
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoRBD (View Post)
So true!
I feel like all the couples I ship have some sort of love/hate banter. But those are the best kind!
I've been in the same relationship for umpty-ump years (as in more years than I want to admit to). It hasn't all been lols, but I wouldn't trade that history for even a season two version of Wade (all cloning jokes aside).

I have numerous family members who, in their relationships, have more than double or triple the number of years together that I do -- and they're truly examples of the "best kind" of relationships because they clearly still want to spend every possible moment together!

All of us still banter and fight and disagree and love each other. To me, that's the reality of true love -- two people who are both separate individuals and a couple that supports each other wholly and completely working out how to be both separate and joined in deep bands of love and respect don't ever mean that the relationship has to be boring!

For me, the problem with Zoe and Joel is that they're not really individuals, as such. Zoe says jump and Joel says "how high?" which is a problem she's had with the ex who dumped her without her realizing there was any problem, with George, with the J-named vet (this alliteration has really gotten out of hand!), and with Wade. She thinks that she can tell men what to do and that it'll be their idea of paradise (and why not since LG has set up the series so that no man can resist Zoe Hart's sexual allure?), but that's just not real life (or even good fiction -- it's just a series of men cast as "Mary Sue's").

At least between Zoe and Wade, when she told him to jump, he'd at least give her a hard time about it, and, when she was completely in the wrong, he'd tell her that she was making a mistake. For me, that's the kind of give and take a good relationship takes!

To believe that the former (which might seem like the more peaceful road to follow) seems, to me, to be an arrogant assumption that having someone question your assumptions is a bad thing. The Greeks called such assumptions, "hubris," and I've been seeing a lot of it on HoD since the heart and soul of the show was thrown away during cheatgate....