View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 07:24 PM
schwarmereione
Part-Time Fan

I love the fact that Alicia is complicated, contradictory and frustrating. Because that's what people are like in real life. I think it's a huge step forward to have a female protagonist on television like her. I also think double standards of gender are at play. It's still possible for an audience to root for a anti-hero who kills people like Walter White, but if someone 'nice' (and female) like Alicia Florrick does something merely self-interested parts of the audience start hating on her.

(Please note, I don't think that means you can't criticize her, or even dislike her if you wish. I just think it's tied to our expectation that women and particularly Alicia are supposed to 'good'.)

Of course everyone will feel better about all this when Kalicia gets patched up. ;-)

I think the current scenario is really well constructed. Alicia (and the fourth years) are legitimately angry at how the firm treated them about their partnerships. At the same time Diane and Will are justified in expecting Alicia's loyalty after what they've done for her. I like it when both sides are right!