View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 PM
sunnykerr
Fan Forum Star

I think this may perhaps be some of that weird incarnation American patriotism takes on sometimes.

And, before anyone takes offense to that, please understand that I don't mean that American patriotism is bad or unfounded.

I just think that, sometimes, it extends into areas where it's a little dodgy.

Because pretty much all industrialized countries have a form of socialized health care and it's been, you know, just fine.

But a big chunk of the American identity is (a) the notion that the United States is the best country in the whole world and (b) the fact that it's a country where people who work hard will succeed.

So, if the United States is the best there is at everything, then you don't need to import ideas from other countries. Especially not socialized ones. And, if the American dream is that hard work leads to success, leads to being able to take care of yourself and your loved ones, then you don't need to plan ahead or you already have.

And, again, I have many American friends. I don't consider myself smarter than anyone out there.

I just think it wouldn't be hard to sell people on the idea that the status quo is the best scenario.

Meanwhile, though, you probably have the same aging population in the United States as you have elsewhere and that's a financial burden a country that large needs to prepare for.