View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 06:56 AM
ollibear
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrhmLz (View Post)
Finale time.

As for the points about Daphne, I would kind of have to agree with the poster looking for something better next season. The Coto plotline and the Jeff angle swallowed up Daphne's character between two guys who were really no good for her. I love Daphne just like Bay and others so i'm never looking for any character to be brought down a few notches. Noone is perfect but i root for the goodness of characters, and for me, there is no such thing as 'too good'. I personally was a bit bored and not interested by some of that drama.
I root for the goodness of characters, too, but I, personally, would rather see characters who are human, who are real. As you said, no one is perfect, and, to me, Daphne was in danger of being a one-dimensional "perfect" character at the beginning of Season 1A. I am glad that the writers have shown her to be human.

I do not want to watch a story about a character who starts out good, never falls victim to temptation, never makes a mistake, and never learns a better way. In my stories, I want to see growth of the human spirit. That's what is helpful to me. That's the story that has meaning to me. It is not about wanting a character to be brought down a few notches. For me, it is about growing with the character.

Plus, if there is no such thing as "too good" then every character would behave in a God-like manner. Would there even be a story? Even the Bible shares stories about people who make mistakes.

EDITED TO ADD: There are women, in this world, whose lives are swallowed up for years at a time by guys who are no good for them. I am hoping, really hoping, that Daphne regains her footing, so she does not continue to fall victim to this type of man. I am rooting for Daphne to gain the strength to choose relationships, to choose friendships, with people who add something positive to her life, not with people who will bring her down. I think back to the Daphne who sought a friendship with Simone in Season 1B and feel that her experiences with men continue to be very much in keeping with her character, as she has been presented.

Last edited by ollibear; 08-18-2013 at 07:14 AM