View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Sabrina
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieSD (View Post)
A diet for example - you work hard to loose weight, staying away from certain foods. All of a sudden you find yourself in your favorite restaurant where they serve your favorite dessert. A voice inside your head says, "Just try one bite, one bite won't hurt, you deserve it for all your hard work." Your inhibitions give way and you're suddenly scarfing down the entire thing. Then, feeling like a failure, you just say, "What the heck," and eat something else you know you shouldn't. It's then like starting all over to get back on the diet, and it takes time.
Yes! Like others have said, you're right on point! I actually wrote an article about this once (I own an health website). The crazy thing is, when someone is dealing with a really big and serious addiction, people are often times like: OMG, just get yourself in rehab already! What's wrong with you? Get a grip and if you just continu to use/drink and don't get help right this second, you're simply a coward and it's your own fault. I've even seen (unfortunately many) comments like this online regarding Cory's passing.

What's absolutely crazy to me (besides posting those kind of comments), is that quite a few people can't even manage to keep a healthy weight theirselves but do feel like they have a right to comment on someone else's addiction issues. They don't realize that, in a way, battling a drug addiction is like following a diet... only a billion times harder (most of the time). So while many people find it perfectly acceptable when a diet fails (because of reason X, Y and of course also Z), they do think drug addicts should just go to rehab and 'deal with it'.

How many diets fail (eventually)? Like 95% right? Let's all evaluate our own shortcomings before we see easy solutions for someone else's.