View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 05:49 AM
*Babi*
Master Fan

I didn't mean your post specifically is off base, I only meant we dug so much the discussion about a character in a way that isn't what this thread is for.
I didn't mean to offend you, Ann, I should have quoted more posts or no posts whatsoever. I just wanted to make those points. the part of your post I responded to mainly to implying how he compelled girls to feed on them - their outfits aren't relevant when I think it's clear he killed those he fed on and how the fact that he killed and compelled people makes him an abuser.
It makes him a vampire. I agree he's a bad one as he shows no remorse whereas Stefan for example shows, but it doesn't take away the fact that vampires should behave like the predators they are...

I would never see a discussion like the one we had for pages here in a show like True Blood, or a movie like Interview with The Vampire or Underworld because the sort of situation people here are so appalled about is the recurring theme in vampire fiction. Why this part of the fandom seems so shocked and disgusted by compulsion, human feed and kills is beyond me. Again, if it's something people think that shouldn't be in the show, they're watching the wrong genre.

Now Caroline and Andy's cases are completely different... compel to feed is one thing, compel to accept to have sex with someone you wouldn't want to have sex after you found out what they are, it's deeper than simply feeding and then have the main female character joke and dismiss that as if it was nothing? I think that's a wrong message to send (and this is coming from a person that think teens or whoever shouldn't have role models in TV in general)

I feel like you're offended, and I like and respect you too much to offend you, so I apologize if it seemed like I was aiming my whole post only on you or that I think you're inadequate to watch the show. I just meant that we focused so much in the bad things the characters are doing that we sort of forgot that in a vampire show that's expected... and if after we're reminded of that we still think that compulsion, feeding and killing shouldn't be part of it, I guess then we aren't fit to watch it.

Now what is not okay is to send a message that being abused sexually is okay (and should be rewarded), that the poor treatment of the black characters is okay and the not so subtle misogynistic messages thrown there all the time. Those things are problematic imo because it involves real social issues, the rest is just bad vampire being bad as they're supposed to. And then we have our personal preferences. Some prefer orphans, others kings, and we shouldn't be judged by our preferences about fictional characters. And again this part isn't aimed at you.
x