View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 07:08 PM
*Babi*
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by posterity (View Post)
This is extremely problematic and a very serious issiue with a lot of teen shows but particularily TVD. Everything is so blatant and at the same time not. It is so blatant because we can feel it in the undertones of the writing but it is still unintentional from the writer's end. To not discuss it is a little offensive to me. I need to be able to express what I know I am witnessing so that I remind myself that these are not my standards and I do not abide by such ugliness that is hidden in TVD's message. I need to rise above their blatant racism and sexism and I can do this by discussing when I see or feel it.
That's the thing indeed. It's there for everyone to see, but people are so used to not pay attention to those things when they're supposed to only be entertained, so they don't and therefore it only perpetuates the distorted values in society. Then people don't know why women who don't want relationships are ****s and men who don't want the same are just boys being boys or why people are still surprised to find out a poc who has an executive or top position in a company or simply the fact that most people notice it at all. Perpetuated notions...
x