View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Grace52373
Passionate Fan

I thought he was brave for doing that! I couldn't, I think when Adam and Eddie are saying that we will see how much Gold loves, this is part of what they meant. He gave up being considered brave for his son. How many soldiers, if they knew they would die on the battlefield would actually fight. I think bravery comes in all forms. I have great respect for our military men and women, and deserters can cause problems by lessening the size of an army, and of course it seems unfair to other soldiers who do their duty, but I also wonder if they knew for certain they were going to die, would they fight? Who knows? Rum and the other men were in an impossible war, and he made the brave decision to hobble himself in order to be there for his son, and Milha can go jump into a toxic dump, especially if she thinks cowards like Hook are brave!

Also, I too was comparing Rum to Oedipus and his father, who in an attempt to escape their fate, actually brought it about due to misinformation. Prophecies are often incomplete, and vague. Seers have to fight their way through a number of pictures, and put together the threads in order to make a prophecy, but I agree with Betsy when she says down with prophecies, with the exception of the early Judaistic prophets, who procalimed good news, not doom and gloom. I do think we are better off not knowing our future, because we might bring it about anyway because of lack of information. I also agree that the future is in constant flux, look at Back to the Future movies, or read A Christmas Carol, and they tell you the exact same thing. We make our own destiny by each and every decision we make.