View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Inesal
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
I believe in the non-aggression principle. Cam violated it. Zig reacted. End of story.
That seems simplistic to me. Yesterday, two 5th graders were arrested because they planned to murder a girl. Their defense was the girl was mean to them. Going by your principle, the boys would be okay to do what they did. After all she started it by being aggresive to them according to the boys.

That is thankfully not how it works and I know that is not what you believe either. That is why a broad definition of right and wrong (one started it/the other ended it) does not really work here. If Cam does something stupid, ultimately that will be on Cam. If he was to go to the school and shoots Zig, Cam should be the one held responsible. If Cam does something stupid to himself, Zig is ultimately not the one who should be held responsible*.

What Zig is responsible is for his own actions though. He is responsible for acting in a way that is not stripped of any human decency and does not lower oneself to a hateful, spiteful scumbag. His responsibility is to himself as a human being. He also has a responsibility to others as a human being to act like one. He took the argument that Cam started to a place of no turning back, to one of sheer inhumanity. It wasn't just harsh. It was't just too much. It goes beyond that. He attacked Cam's identity and said how Cam's identity would ruin him. To say he is entitled to react as he did because Cam started the talk is wrongheaded. The "he/she started it" defense as far as causing a reaction that is inhuman does not cut it.

*This last point is contentious. Eating breakfast this morning with friends, I disagreed with some who stated Zig's actions, because they crossing into an identity attack, are worthy of a suspension. I was surprised I was in the minority on the issue. My argument was that I don't think many teens can be expected to have a comprehension that an attack on one's mental faculties can be an attack on one's identity. I guess my friends, two of whom are teachers, are right in that Zig clearly adapted the traits of the worst type of bully - the one who attacks the identity of someone else. I did point out how Zig did not say it around other people which makes it less horrifying in my opinion. It is difficult. Yes Zig went to a most dangerous area of verbal bullying. On the other hand, I don't think he necessarily understands he did so. One of the friends, who is far more knowledgeable than me, says I am underestimating how bad what Zig did was. I don't mean to do so. I just don't know if Zig has a comprehension of the horrific behavior he displayed.

For instance, we all know that calling a gay child the "F" word and saying their family will disown them, is a clearcut case of bullying based on attacking someone's identity. But when it comes to mental concerns, how much does Zig or most children that age know? While my friend said Zig should be suspended because the potential damage from his behavior could be horrendous, it still is a tough one for me to fully comprehend.

Hopefully in the next episode, Zig will own up and apologize to Cam (just as Cam should apologize for hitting Zig). However if Cam does something stupid to himself (which others here seem to think he will and would be realistic based on what Zig said/Cam's mental problems creating a combustible mix), Zig will probably have a long, difficult journey to redemption - one in which he will need to reappraise his behavior bigtime.

Last edited by Inesal; 02-16-2013 at 10:32 AM
Inesal is offline   Reply With Quote