View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 PM
L i N d $ @ y
Moderator Manager

Quote:
JK Rowling has been listed at the 13th most powerful woman in the United Kingdom by a popular BBC Radio show. Her position puts her one placement before MP and Deputy Leader of the Labour Party Harriet Harman and eight places ahead of singer Adele. The list was topped by Her Majesty, The Queen.

The list is the first created by Women's Hour, a daily programme on BBC Radio 4, and aimed to recognise the "movers and shakers who shape the way we live today" and question "which women have the greatest impact on British politics, society, culture and the economy".

Not that is will be a surprise to any Potter fans but it is worth noting that JK Rowling has been listed as both an author AND a philanthropist and is acknowledged for setting up the Volant Charitable Trust and as President of the Gingerbread Charity for single parent families.
BBC Radio 4 - Woman's Hour - The Power List 2013

Quote:
J.K. Rowling has been rewarded for her excellence in philanthropy and charity work. J.K. Rowling's personal website posted that she received the Beacon Award for Targeted Philanthropy on February 6, 2013. jkrowling.com said:

On 6 February 2013 J.K. Rowling was awarded The Beacon Award for Targeted Philanthropy.

The Beacon Awards celebrate giving by individuals whose philanthropy has achieved an impact that needs to be more widely shared. Their aim is to provide inspiration to improve and strengthen the culture of individual giving in the UK, resulting in more effective philanthropy. By showcasing exceptional examples of philanthropy they hope to encourage others to give.
J.K. Rowling receives the 2013 Beacon Award for Philanthropy - The Leaky Cauldron

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.