View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 03:39 AM
L i N d $ @ y
Moderator Manager

Quote:
News of J. K. Rowling's new novel being published by Little, Brown topped the list of most-read literature stories of the year on the website Booktrade.

The site said the revelation that Rowling's first novel for adults was not to be published by Bloomsbury, despite the phenomenally successful Harry Potter novels all being published by the house, comfortably topped 2012's 100-strong most-read list.

Soon after, it was revealed that the novel would be entitled The Casual Vacancy. Set in Pagford, a seemingly idyllic West Country village reeling from the unexpected death of local councillor Barry Fairbrother, the novel became the fastest-selling hardback title of the year after more than 124,000 copies were bought during its first week on sale, although it received mixed reviews from critics.

News that Frank Cottrell Boyce won the 2012 Guardian Children's Fiction Prize for The Unforgotten Coat was the eighth most-read story.

The 'inventive and magical' novel, about two Mongolian refugee brothers living in Liverpool, scooped the GBP 1,500 award, with Cottrell-Boyce saying it was 'amazing' to win.

On the subject of prizes, the fifth most-read story was Terry Pratchett being named the winner of the 2012 Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize for Comic Fiction for his Discworld novel Snuff, praised by the Independent for being 'as funny as Wodehouse and as witty as Waugh'.

Pratchett had never won the prize, despite being shortlisted three times: for Thief of Times in 2002, Going Postal in 2005 and Thud in 2006.

Another prize story to grab book-lovers' collective attention was Patrick Ness' A Monster Calls, which won both the prestigious Carnegie Medal and its sister award for illustration for the first time in the awards' history.

The top ten was dominated by news of literary awards, with another entry being the launch of the UK's first literary prize for ebooks and digital publishing. The announcement of the GBP 10,000 Kidwell-e Ebook Award to find Britain's best ebook was the ninth most-read story on the Booktrade website.
J. K Rowling's move to Little, Brown named most-read news story of 2012

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.