View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 AM
tyr8nt93
New Fan

Feelings About Supernatural and it's Dynamics (First Post)

Well, I have been a member of this community for a while ( male member) and I have not really taken advantage of it. So, hopefully I'll post. And I'm kind of sorry that my first post is kind of a critique and maybe negative, but late night tea-filled discussions with my nerdy best friend has kind of gotten me into a discussion mode where maybe other watchers of the show will offer insight. These are just my opinions.

1) How are you guys viewing this show now? I remember in the early days when it was a nail-biter just waiting for the show to being green-lighted. I was so invested, with season 4 being my favorite. But now I still watch the show, but my degree of apprehension and feelings of intensity are not as strong as they used to be. And i find myself getting more annoyed with both Sam and Dean as the story goes on.

2) Though I will watch the show and I'm still a fan, I'm starting to think the show is outliving itself and that it should have ended somewhere around season 4 or 5. In terms of cinematics and plot, what else could you do to top stopping the apocalypse? The only thing to me would be to introduce a villiian or character equal in power and cruelty, but with an extremely personal vendetta against Sam and Dean. Other than that, I've found the plots and conflicts less and less interesting.

3) The Sam and Dean dynamic. Whether you ship them as a couple or as strong brothers, it is clear that this relationship is not going well. I remember back in season 4 where we were all concerned that the dynamics would change permanently. I fell like that point is now. It is still the same old argument. Why be hunters? Because we are. Because dad wanted us to be. Why weren't you there for me? Because you weren't there for me. Because I'm tired. Well so am I! Even Sam feels like he is now resenting his connection with his brother. They have always been so co-dependent., and to a degree unhealthy. And with Sam moving on, contrary to my friends, I can see why. Even when a brother is back, that just means that more trouble and heartbreak is coming. Is it his fault? No. But that doesn't change it. Even the pranks and humor are gone. Sam doesn't laugh, Dean doesn't sleep around. So must disinterest, so much anger on Sam's part because Dean is constantly stealing his life away, and so much mistrust on Dean's part for Sam not understanding the magnitude of a hunter's responsibility (and maybe a little blame on Sam for not being able to have a live of his own). How on earth will these brothers get back to what they were? Can they? Will they eventually let each other go and live their own lives (that is if they both live and not die for what feels like the 5th time)?

4) Things like the every eluding mystery of John's influence, the lack of Chuck, the presence of God, are things that to me are still not satisfactorily explained. Will things be explained, or will they just remain mysteries?

I love this show still. I still watch it, and I'm still interested. But it would be foolish of me to not notice the differences of how I'm watching it and what I'm getting from it.

I would like a dialogue to go, because I'm interested to see other people's perceptions on the show, the format, the plot, and the dynamics between the brothers (which was always the main point).
tyr8nt93 is offline   Reply With Quote